Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
botann

Sapsuckers killed my tree

botann
15 years ago

Sapsuckers finally stressed this Weeping Giant Sequoia to the point of death. Another one is stunted. They leave the normal Sequoias I have alone. Any solutions or added information would be very much appreciated. I guess one solution is not to grow the weeping variety anymore....my form of Integrated Pest Management.

{{gwi:600830}}

{{gwi:1077675}}

Comments (7)

• cascadians
    15 years ago

Botann, that's terrible!

I saw 3 of the scarlet-red sapsuckers in the yard last fall, dashing from tree to tree as a trio and drilling like mad. Didn't know what they were (expect woodpeckers), looked in bird ID book and ran out to chase them out of yard. Haven't seen them since, will hurl citrus at them and try to make sure they are not welcome.

Will follow this thread to see if anybody knows how to ward them off.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Were they the cause or the effect? Might there have even been a problem with the tree that attracted their added attention? I don't know one way or the other, just trying to look at it from a different angle.

• botann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"Might there have even been a problem with the tree that attracted their added attention?"

I think it's related to their available access to the trunk. As you can see I made a mistake by planting the Weeping Sequoia with a stand of large Douglas Firs to the north. The tree leaned to the south light and consequently left the trunk open to the Sapsuckers. Weepingh Sequoias bend to the light more than most other trees. Cryptomeria j. 'Elegans' is another.

My oldest weeper was almost untouched until I pruned the lowest branches that were touching the ground. They are gradually killing it, steadily moving upward through the unpruned trunk.

I have pretty much ruled out other causes. I haven't tilled around the roots and weakened the tree, nor is it lacking water. No herbicides or insecticides have been used.

I have been on a trip for the last month dodging tornados in Missouri, Kansas, and Arkansas and snow storms in Colorado, western South Dakota and Montana. My daughter informs me we have had plenty of water come out of the sky while I was gone. :-)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Other sites mention trunks of exposed trees being particular targets, and that in addition to the direct damage caused by the birds themselves destructive agents such as insects and fungi can enter the tree through the holes and cavities.

• dottyinduncan
    15 years ago

They are such lovely birds! We have them here too and they have neat rows of holes in the trees but no casualties yet. It seems odd that trees would succomb to their attacks. It's not like nature to have something kill its food source. Your holiday must make you appreciate being home!

• paramont_jan
    14 years ago

Sapsuckers have been after my tree here in Victoria - hubbie has tried to chase them away many times but they always return. Weeping sequoia is attractive because one side in exposed. Arbourist says that damage to one side only will not kill tree but we must make sure not to prune any branches from other side. We get the occasional brown branch but arbourist says this is due to drought - we have had some long dry summers here in Victoria which is unusual. Surface watering won't do enough for a sequoia to make us for this. Also, I have used mushroom manure in nearby bed, and sequ. are limehaters. Won't do that again.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

Could you wrap the exposed trunk with something to keep them away?