Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klew_gw

any experience with Ozothanmus rosmaninifolius?

klew
14 years ago

I accidentally bought this plant, having hurriedly read the tag as "Osmanthus" not "Ozothamnus." I want to plant it (or something) as part of an informal hedge in one of two winter-windy areas -- the first of which gets full sun all summer and lots of winter wind, the second of which gets morning (light) shade/afternoon full sun and a moderate amount of winter wind. Any comments or advice deeply appreciated.

Comments (8)

• annukka
    14 years ago

No, but it looks cool. I see it on the internets as Ozothamnus rosmarinifolius. Your title is a little different. Link is to the search. Lots of info.

Here is a link that might be useful: yahoo search

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Wouldn't be a good bet where blasted by icy winds down the gorge.

• linda_denman_island
    14 years ago

Ozothamnus rosmarinifolius seems to be pretty borderline in my area. It needs full sun, well-drained soil, and i don't think it would like much wind in the winter. I've tried growing it a few times here. The first plant lasted a few years and the second one was planted last summer, and not surprisingly, didn't make it through the winter. In both cases the locations where it was planted were decent but not ideal in terms of the amount of sun and drainage. I really like this plant, though, and will try it one more (last) time if I come across one. Good luck with yours!

• ian_wa
    14 years ago

Taking the 'glass is half full' perspective (LOL)... planted in full sun and dryish soil, it should definitely be happy through average to mild winters for us. I'd say just to put it in your sunniest spot and see how long it persists. Its appealing texture and flowers certainly make it worth enjoying.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    14 years ago

if you search Ozothanmus rosmaninifolius this the only results are this thread. thats kinda neat- a closed loop!

someday you can tell you kids you created something new on the interwebs.

winter wind area? just pretend it was sold to you as a short lived perennial and you will be happy.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

I had one in my old garden for around 10 years. As Ian suggested, it was planted in full sun in a dry area that received very little wind. It did fine with minimal attention.....bloomed heavily. Not the most aesthetically striking plant I've grown, but interesting. And the bees loved it.

And it was planted in a location that included a number of other plants with Southern hemisphere origins (loosely termed my "wierd shrub bed"), none of which faired nearly as well this past winter. The ozothamnus appeared to be untouched by winter. I think it may be a tougher shrub than you think.

• ian_wa
    14 years ago

It's certainly hardy to at least about 12-14F if it's happy and 'grown tough.' Cassinia x Ozothamnus, I think, is even hardier. Mine all lived through the winter - freeze, snow and all - in their pots with little to no damage.

• klew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the input. Given what I heard from y'all, it went into the ground in a completely different spot than planned, but I think it will thrive.