Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_portland

Weigela?

ellen_portland
12 years ago

I see this every morning when I walk my son to the bus stop. It is cascading over a fence- just beautiful. I think it is a Weigela, but the one I have is so small- probably got a dwarf by mistake!

I would love to have something like this over our fence, it's falling apart.

Can anyone give me an ID?

TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (14)

• ian_wa
    12 years ago

This is Kolkwitzia amabilis, beautybush. It is not as common in nurseries as it used to be.

• botann
    12 years ago

I had one for about 20 years. I finally concluded it only looks good when it's in bloom and removed it.
    Mike

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

I agree - a rather old fashioned plant that is no longer hugely popular. Bloom lasts for 2-3 weeks then a coarse, big and very ungainly looking shrub for the remaining 11.5 months of the year. But it's beautiful when it's in bloom :-)

I haven't seen it in a nursery for years nor does it seem to be grown by any local suppliers. Except for the ghastly yellow leafed form, 'Dream Catcher', which doesn't bloom very much and just looks unhealthy.

This shrub often produces offshoots from the roots or suckers. You might ask one of your neighbors who grow it if they'd be willing share a piece.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Very impressive when allowed to develop fully and naturally, without being whacked on. Summer off season could be handled by training a light climber through it, such as some of the smaller-flowered clematis hybrids.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Now that I've looked at the photos, plant asked about WAS a Weigela and not a Kolkwitzia.

• reg_pnw7
    12 years ago

Yes, that photo from OP is definitely a weigela. I know, I've seen some too that are unbelievably large! Current cultivars tend to be more dwarf since that's where the market is going - smaller yards, smaller shrubs and trees (if any trees at all).

• plantknitter
    12 years ago

Thank you.
    I thought my brain was really getting as fuzzy as I thought I remembered the Kolkwitzia was at my former residence...

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

As with other species (Japanese barberry) or hybrid groups where a dwarf ball, tuft or hummock is the current objective of selection programs the pleasant natural grace of older kinds displaying an arching habit (such as specimen asked about here) is eliminated. The common desire for meatball bushes that are arranged and maintained in Tombstone Plantings is being catered to by involved commercial interests, instead of the public being coaxed into producing pleasant effects.

• ian_wa
    12 years ago

Oops, I guess I've managed to forget how to identify certain plants I am no longer exposed to very much.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I hate meatball/muffin sheared shrubs arranged in a tombstone planting but I do appreciate many of the new dwarf forms of many shrubs because my yard is so small.....

• botann
    12 years ago

I was in Lake Chelan last weekend and spotted this Kolkwitzia.
    It's the biggest I've seen.
    {{gwi:1077810}}
    Mike

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

After I saw that picture yesterday I saw two monster Kolkwitzias too. I've driven by them many times and never noticed them before. They were both tangled up in a tree too. One had been hacked at but was still covered with flowers.

• ian_wa
    12 years ago

Nice pic. I've certainly seen one that tall in Olympia, but it didn't look that good - it was covered with moss. I can't say I've spotted any yet around Sequim/Port Angeles - for some reason it was much more common in older yards in Olympia.

• blameitontherain
    12 years ago

My three weigelas are quite small, also. Planted them two years ago so likely have not yet reached their full dimension. A big bonus to these plants is the hummers just love sticking their little beaks in them!

Rain