Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
embothrium

49 Regional Plant Sale Events

Embothrium
12 years ago

Are listed as occurring on Saturday May 7th this year. Mother's Day weekend has also been the peak sales time for local garden centers in the past.

Comments (10)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

Mother's Day weekend has also been the peak sales time for local garden centers in the past.

We can only hope :-) Unseasonably cold and wet weather so far this year has seriously impacted sales. Unless things change and soon, it's not going to be a great year for local retail nurseries......again.

• Embothrium
    Original Author
    12 years ago

During a recent visit to Molbak's I had to hunt for a parking spot. When I went to back out and leave somebody else was soon right there, waiting to pull in.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I've purchased far less this spring at plant sales and nurseries because of the weather....:(

I'm riding in a horse show tomorrow so no plant sales for me this weekend.

• Embothrium
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad you were able to specify that you would be a rider and not one of the ridden.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I was specifying that I was riding not watching because missing such an important day of plant sales to spectate wouldn't do....;)

• Embothrium
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Too late: you have already revealed you will be horsing around today, instead of going to plant sales.

Gasp! The shame! The dishonor!

What else could there be?

Myself, I may just take a load of prunings to the dump and skip the sales, due to ear pain.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

Not sure I'd consider a full parking lot at Molbak's necessarily indicative of a 'normal' level of plant sales for this time of year :-) Molbak's has a lot of draw for consumers beyond plants....multiple gift shops, patio furniture sales, clothes, restaurant, etc. It is a destination shopping experience, not necessarily just a 'plant place'.

It is the independent retail nurseries that base their income primarily on plant sales that are feeling the weather pinch. And besides the inclement weather, the economy, the housing market and the decline in gardening as a hobby is having an effect. Nurseries across the country - including the larger wholesalers - are struggling. It's tough times in this business.

• botann
    12 years ago

I went to Kubota Gardens and picked up a few nice plants at their yearly Spring sale. Good selection, nice prices.

I also went to a few plant trades and met some wonderful people.

I should get out more often!
    Mike

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I did go to the Hardy Plant Society, Leach Botanical Garden and Clackamas County Master Gardener sales so far this year...

It does get frustrating that so many are on the same days. I sure would like to go to more in the fall than just the Hardy Plant Society sale.

• Embothrium
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sky (north of Seattle) had a big crowd today. If you aren't going to pull them in on Mother's Day...

Noticed several parties parking in front of the old, now empty store and trying to use the old main entrance. Tells me that they haven't been there since this time last year, or maybe even farther back - I don't remember when they made the change.

I quite enjoy their big new greenhouse.