Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry tree fell over - white stuff inside?

Posted by DeniseE WA (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 12:54

We live in Bellingham WA and have a cherry tree in our side yard. Not sure what kind it is. There are actually several trunks./branches coming up from the ground.

Saturday morning we came outside and discovered that a big - probably 20 foot - section had fallen over / broken off. At the base where it broke, inside you can see some white stuff. I don't know if it's fungus, mold, some type of rot? The rest of the tree seems solid. I'm wondering what would have caused this to happen. I'm attaching some photos.

Thanks so much for your help and for sharing your knowledge with me!
all best,
Denise

This post was edited by DeniseE on Mon, May 20, 13 at 13:14

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry tree fell over - white stuff inside?

Here's another photo!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 20, 13 at 18:31

Fungus was growing in tight branch crotch, branch came off because it was a weak crotch - does not mean there is a problem with rest of tree. Except in the second picture it looks like green "tree" may be cherry plum rootstock sprouts coming from beneath a purple-leaved plum to the right - in which case all the green-leaved stems should be cut to the ground and kept cut down.

o

Thanks so much for your answer! I don't know if the green is part of the purple tree; the purple is on our neighbor's property and the green on ours. It's hard to tell what's trunk and what's branch as multiple ones come up out of the ground. The tree is probably 25 feet tall or more and is over 20 years old. I hope the whole thing doesn't have to be cut down as it's beautiful and gives us some privacy (not to mention cherries!).

Thanks again for your help!
cheers -
Denise

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 22, 13 at 1:13

If you're getting cherries, then it wouldn't be a cherry plum. Cherry plums produce small, red plums, often not that interesting in flavor or texture, and definitely not cherries. Otherwise the thicket of stems near a purple-leaved plum tree is a typical situation resulting from grafting of purple-leaved plums onto cherry plums. I've got a clump of cherry plum in my yard I have to keep cutting off, it came from a grafted purple-leaved plum on the other side of the fence, now cut down - but still providing The Gift That Keeps On Giving.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Wed, May 22, 13 at 11:24

I've always avoided cherries and plums in my garden. For the most part, they're more trouble than they're worth.
mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here