Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bringing out silvery color in heucheras?

Posted by LisaHermione 8 (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 12:59

I see a lot of discussion about bringing out the best colors in heuchera, but I can't seem to find out anything about encouraging the silver. Does anyone have any insight on sun vs shade for really bringing out the silver? I suspect it's shade, since most of the (non fuzzy) silvery plants I can think of are shade plants (lamium, pulmonaria, cyclamen) but I thought I would ask before planting. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bringing out silvery color in heucheras?

Not all heucheras are shade plants or even shade lovers. Many of the species are native to prairies, rocky, mountainous areas and woodland verges, in addition to those that prefer the more shaded, woody areas. And since most modern heuchera cultivars are hybrids with some seriously mixed parentage, ideal siting can also tend to be very mixed. IME, the slivery cast of some cultivars tends to be enhanced more with cold temperatures than with sun/shade but in general, coloring is intensified with a fair amount of sun, although avoidance of hot afternoon sun may be best.

In our climate, the only heuchs that seem to really thrive in much shade are those with the very pale chartreuse or yellow foliage. All others seem to struggle and appear with minimal or washed out coloring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here