Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klc0812

Plant suggestion Please!

klc0812
14 years ago

Hi all....I have a spot I would like some suggestions, pictures following. It doesn't get much sun....but lots of light. I have about 5' there, and wanted some height. (will have to be careful with the eves, they are 10').

I was going to put a dwarf Jap Maple...have a Koto no Ito I had planned on putting here...I even mounded the dirt a bit for it, but am afraid it won't get enough sun. Any Maple experts out there that can tell me if it will be ok here?

The other thought I had was bamboo in a container....but I seem to always like the running varieties and not sure if I want the maintenance of dividing every couple years...but maybe it would be worth it, I love the look.

Any thoughts on bamboo or the maple or other great suggestions?

Comments (10)

• madrone
    14 years ago

KLC, have you considered any of the following: Aucuba japonica, Fatsia japonica, Vaccinium ovatum (Red huckleberry), Osmanthus heterophyllus or Leucothoe? All those do well in shade. I have an Acer palmatum 'Villa Taranto' in a pot in full shade which does really well.
    Another thought: if you put your maple in a pot and place it there, you'd quickly find out if its happy there or not. Then you could plant it there or move it to a sunnier spot if necessary. Good luck!

• boxofrox
    14 years ago

My initial thought when I saw your pics was an espaliered camelia. If done like the one they have by the front entrance at Wells-Medina, it would be stunning in that space.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

If there's enough light for the junipers etc., there's enough light for the maple.

Note: "Jap" is a pejorative.

• klc0812
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So sorry on using "Jap"....will be more careful in the future, surely didn't mean to offend anyone.

Thank you for all the ideas/thoughts. I will look into the options given.

RE: the junipers, since you brought them up...in looking at them this year they are getting very "brown" on the top. I wondered if it was from the winter we had....or from not enough sun. ??

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Much hardier than needed for our climate. Center may open up with age to show old dead foliage. Also prone to blight problems on some sites.

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

Been seeing the J-word quite often lately, usually connected to a plant name and on the computer, and even in print. A handy abbreviation, but not a good habit.

• klc0812
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Once again I am sorry. I abbreviated it typing in a hurry not even giving it a thought that anyone would be offended or that I shouldn't abbreviate it...maybe it was stupid but it was an honest mistake...no harm intended.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Plenty of light for a maple.....I wouldn't hesitate to include one, provided it was sized accordingly (that site is pretty darn close to the house). I really like the idea of a dwarf maple grown in a container for that spot and you can easily move it should it outgrow the space. Camellias that lend themselves best to espalier - sasanquas - will bloom much better if they receive a fair amount of sun, however if the rhodies/azaleas are blooming well, and they appear to be, the camellia should also.

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

klc, I believe in your total innocence. I wasn't offended--I simply paused. Most gardening references to J*p would be done innocently. My comment was in general; I'm a little surprised at the recent frequency of the word, given its history, but then a lot of time has passed.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    14 years ago

right now, that area is pretty dominated by shrub balls. i think it would be fun to keep with that theme, and just pile up a few more in there. make the area look sort of pillowy, soft, rounded. subdued.

then in the center, throw a lot of drama in. more drama than a tree (a relatively static plant). throw some large out of control perennials around the pots, so at times in the season you can't even see them.

then in the pots themselves, throw in even more dramatic plants. when that phormium looking plant gets bigger, that should qualify.

so yea, just use the classic tension: rounded, trimmed controlled shrubs and out of control nature.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County