Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westover_gw

Hesperis matronalis - invasive in Oregon?

westover
14 years ago

Also known as "Dame's rocket", as well as other common names.

I like this plant very much, and have one blooming fragrantly now. But I just discovered that it is listed as invasive in a few eastern states. As far as I can tell, however, it hasn't been listed/considered invasive in Oregon. Two questions:

1. Is it therefore safe to let it grow?

2. Is this perhaps a plant that wouldn't survive our summers without being watered? If so, maybe that would explain why it hasn't been listed as a threat.

Comments (7)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Naturalized here. Weeds becoming listed by a state depends on a variety of factors.

• skelkins
    14 years ago

It survives our summers fine without being watered. I have a couple of healthy stands of them, which spread from a stray seed that blew into my garden by chance one year, and I give them no water at all. Nor, for that matter, any other sort of care. They don't seem to be bothered by drought, but just keep happily reseeding themselves all over the place year after year.

I certainly hope that they're not in danger of becoming listed as noxious here! I love mine very much. They smell fantastic at dusk.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Definitely a back of the border plant at nearly 6' tall right now with leaves over 12" long & filling the front yard with fabulous sweet, but not overpowering scent. Compost rich, soil may have created a monster, but time will tell if it's seedy habits become a problem.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

Different states have different qualifications for how they list invasive, potentially invasive or noxious weed species. For some, it seems just to be the ability to self-seed into noncultivated areas, whether or not the plants pose any ecological threat. Japanese maples are even considered invasive or potentially invasive in a couple of eastern states!

Dame's rocket belongs to a group of common garden plants, mostly biennials or short-lived perennials, that I call "nomadic plants" because of their ability to self-sow freely and appear at some distance from their originally planted locations and become almost weedy. But not really invasive in the regard they pose any ecological threat. Others in this group are red valerian/jupiter's beard (Centranthus ruber), rose campion (Lychnis coronaria), forget-me-nots (Myosotis sylvatica) and common foxglove (Digitalis purpurea). Your basic old fashioned, cottage garden plants that can still be found for sale in many nurseries and that can thrive and proliferate with minimal human intervention :-)

• Scott Ferguson
    4 years ago

The thread is pretty old, but I thought I would take a chance. Where in Oregon and Washington are you talking about? We are in Central Oregon, and we only get about 10 inches of rain a year. I am tempted to plant some Dames Rocket in the yard, but fear of it spreading to the canyon. Is this a real risk with so little rain?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Very likely not going to be an issue in your rather arid climate. Where it self seeds most freely is in areas with sufficient rainfall....in the PNW, on the west side of the Cascades. And in various areas of the midwest and east coast that also get plenty of rainfall. Very little evidence of it being at all problematic in the dryer climates....southwest into Texas, etc.