Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcsix_gw

Mushrooms in Grass

mcsix
18 years ago

We put in a new lawn last year and are very surprised this year to have small mushrooms heavily scattered throughout the lawn. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them?

Comments (52)

• jean001
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lime won't affect them. They'll come and go for a while, according to their own schedule.

• buzzy
    18 years ago

Eat them. Depending on the species, of course.

My favorite wild mushroom, Agaricus campestris, appears on lawns. There's also Mirasmius (oreades, I think) that often appears in fairy rings, though other mushrooms do as well. Some very good Boletes show up on lawns, and there are others.

Before identifying the mushroom, I'd never eradicate. Does NO harm whatsoever to the lawn. If you're in/near Seattle you can check out the Puget Sound Mycological Society, or just a good field guide with a key identification system.

Naturally, before eating you have to be sure of species, and NEVER eat anything growing out of a cup-like structure in the ground, (Amanitas) but I've positively ID'd several mushrooms just using a field guide, making sure you have at least 3 key features down cold.

• jean001
    18 years ago

Caution with eating mushrooms, particularly if/when you're a novice at ID.

Consult with the local Mycological Society. Someone there can confirm an ID.

And, if you decide to eat, stash an intact sample in the fridge as evidence, just in case.

• LauraBC
    18 years ago

I have mushrooms coming up everywhere except the lawn! I'm wondering if the mushroom manure I put in last year is contributing to the problem??

• mcsix
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, we'll live with them. We've been out pulling the stem and tops and collecting them. The next question is, can we put them in the compost bin or will that make things worse when we use the compost? Thanks again for your willingness to share your expertise!

• jean001
    18 years ago

Go ahead and compost them. Won't adversely affect anything.

• sarah27
    18 years ago

Lime may not affect them, true. I put it down to help neutralize the acidic soil. Mushrooms are a fungus. Maybe to much thatch??

• Gralfus
    18 years ago

Regarding thatch, no, a new lawn won't have too much thatch. Thatch is where the dead stems and roots of the grass have formed a mat that is nearly impenetrable.

The only approach to actually killing a fungus involves insanely toxic chemicals. I prefer to let them grow. There is sometimes a "fairy ring" which is the edge of the real fungus beneath the surface of the soil. The mushrooms pop up along the edge of the ring to futher spread the fungus through spores. It is only the quest for the 1950's style "perfect lawn" that causes folks to try to kill everything but the grass.

• buzzy
    18 years ago

check out Puget Sound Mycological Society - the pleasures of knowing, growing, hunting and eating these fungus are enormous

they are actually very finicky and will not grow unless conditions are just right for them, which is why it's so difficult to grow them intentionally - wouldn't they love to grow morels or chanterelles commercially? Prime conditions for a few have been figured out, but most are a mystery.

so putting your grass-growing mushrooms in the compost will harm nothing - if you spread the compost on the lawn, you may get more mushrooms, but is this a bad thing? I don't think so.

Last time my yard experienced a mushroom invasion was when I spread cardboard and mulched heavily with chipper/shredder leavings. Next spring I had 12" morels. Heavenly delicious.

• mcsix
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for your help and advice. We are learning to live with the mushrooms, and, yes, Buzzy, I need to learn more about them. Last fall we had some huge mushroom "groups." If they return this year, I'll get them checked out.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

The arrival of scruffy teenagers bent or crawling over the lawn, picking small brown mushrooms from it can be an identification hint.

• kate1
    18 years ago

RON B-suggesting that anyone who crawls on all fours in your pasture looks scruffy is just plain mean and hurtful. Some of us were well kept teenagers you know. Mushroom season to poppy season my hair was clean and combed. (:

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Now we can change this thread to 'Mushrooms and Grass'.

• Vernonia
    18 years ago

ROTFL...

Mushrooms can also often show up when you add anything timber based to your soil/garden/where ever. The wood products (especially bark) are pre-innoculated with spores from the forest, and they find a very welcoming habitat in a moist lawn, and grow from there. They are usually only seasonal, and disappear before long :)

Oh and there is a place out on 26 in manning that sells every imaginable type of mushroom :)

also...I feel the need to caution further. if you are novice at mushroom ID, BE CAREFUL, yes mushrooms are tasty, and wonderful, and gourmet. but if you get the wrong one... they can also be deadly BX..uh, that was supposed to be a skull and cross bones, but I guess it got lost in translation :) and if anyone wants to harvest from my yard, you are welcome to it I will likely have a lot of interesting varieties from the wood chips I got from the utility company :) I have always been curous about mushrooms:) all I know is that morels look like sea sponges, button mushrooms are grocery store standard, and cream of mushroom soup will, without fail, decide not to stay down at 3AM (what do they put in that stuff?) :)

• DicksonCider
    18 years ago

So, I guess that where I cut down a tree in my yard last year is not a "out of the ordinary" place for mushrooms to growing? I thought that I had some kind of problem, but it seems that where the roots are decomposing is why the shrooms are growing there. Correct?

Why is there one type(tan ones about the size of a quarter) around the ring of the tree and another type (little white ones, and I mean a bunch of them) in a couple of places about two foot from where the tree was?

• erika2
    18 years ago

LIME LIME LIME! Several weeks ago mushrooms began growing in my side yard (where my dogs hang out all day). After hours of researching online I found there are very few trulely good sites on mushrooms. Unfortunately, of all the mushroom pictures I found, the ones in my yard resemble two main types-- the most poisonous ones: little brown mushrooms and the sometimes deadly Amanitas. I've been trying to keep them pulled, but they grow faster that I can keep up. Finally, a website gave me what I think is the solution: LIME!!!! Makes sense since my Georgia clay is acidic and mushrooms apparently need acidic soil (Lime neutralizes). I put some down yesterday and watered it in well. This morning- one mushroom. This evening-- none!!! I think I've won... I'll let you know.

• botann
    18 years ago

I wouldn't eat any mushroom growing out of a lawn, 'edible' or not. Who knows when broadleaf weed killer was last used?

• cac0
    18 years ago

"LIME LIME LIME! Several weeks ago mushrooms began growing in my side yard (where my dogs hang out all day). After hours of researching online I found there are very few trulely good sites on mushrooms. Unfortunately, of all the mushroom pictures I found, the ones in my yard resemble two main types-- the most poisonous ones: little brown mushrooms and the sometimes deadly Amanitas. I've been trying to keep them pulled, but they grow faster that I can keep up. Finally, a website gave me what I think is the solution: LIME!!!! Makes sense since my Georgia clay is acidic and mushrooms apparently need acidic soil (Lime neutralizes). I put some down yesterday and watered it in well. This morning- one mushroom. This evening-- none!!! I think I've won... I'll let you know."

Different species of fungus (mushrooms are the fruiting bodies [like apples on a tree] of fungal mycelium in the substrate) require very different conditions. Lime is not a universal fungicide. It's just as likely that the fruiting bodies have gone through thier cycle, as it is that the lime destroyed them.

Did you take a spore print and key them out? You probably don't really know what they are. You are just as likely to encounter poisonous plants in your yard as you are poisonous mushrooms...you certainly would in my yard with the castor, digitalis and datura growing here and there.

I'm a little perplexed by the panicky, fungophobic reactions to mushrooms fruiting in the yard or garden.

• tracib
    18 years ago

I was told to put salt water on the mushrooms, it may damage the lawn, but it will get rid of the mushrooms, has anyone heard of or tried that?

• weebus
    18 years ago

Why would you want to damage the lawn in order to get rid of the mushrooms? They are only the fruiting bodies of the underground fungus. Leave 'em be and they will disappear on their own.

FYI without fungi, we would probably starve to death. just an educated guess...

• birdtalker
    18 years ago

we had a lot of mushrooms over our lawn for about 2 years then a really big pine tree fell in a winter wind and it had no roots. I think that the roots were rotting away under the grass, since the tree fell, we havent had one single mushroom. I also looked at the pattern and the mushrooms radiated from the tree.

• buzzy
    18 years ago

It was good to hear from a couple of other mushroom or fungi-philes... and I',m delighted to hear that the person who started this string is looking forward to learning more about the mushrooms in her lawn.

We garden to enjoy and learn more about nature, I think, not to stomp and squeeze it into some rigidly controlled product, I hope

Mushrooms are fascinating plants - they are the fruit of the plant that grows underground, the mycelium, which is a network of roots in the soil or in rotting wood. Different species are adapted to living on different materials - so yes, some are definitely associated with wood, some with lawns.

Many are symbiotic with trees, so that they process nutrients in the soil for tree roots to take up - the trees would starve without the mushroom. The trees, in turn, slough off organic material for the mushroom to live on.

Just because you see mushrooms it does not mean they're killing your trees - there are only a very few species that kill the tree - if you see a large cluster of honey or brown mushrooms at the foot of a tree, growing out of the wood, you may have Armillaria mellea which I understand does kill trees. But it's one of very few.

Mushrooms in the lawn just feed on decaying matter in the soil - like earthworms, mushrooms and other fungi are a crucial part of the organic recycling process, breaking down matter so it can be used to build up something else.
    Maybe you, if you've found a delicious edible.

On eating mushrooms: if you have any time at all, learning to hunt, identify and cook wild mushrooms is one of the pastimes of the gods. And I'm not talking hallucination here.

There is nothing like taking a huge casserole of chanterelles to a Thanksgiving potluck after finding them the day before in Seattle's Seward Park. Incredible batch of Agaricus campestris (white buttons with dainty pink gills) from Greenlake, Boletus edulis (also known as cep or incredibly expensive dried mushroom imported from France or Italy) under the trees at Woodland Park.

It's always good to learn from a person, although I have identified unknown mushrooms from a field guide alone, but that was after having taken a class. Classes may be offered by community college, University extenstion, local mycological society - if nothing else call county ag extension or local college botany professor

If you do want to play with a field guide, learn to use the key (it's easy) always make a spore print - put an open mushroom cap on a piece of paper and see what color the spores dropping off show. Never eat anything until you are SURE of at least three positive characteristics, and four is better: such as, white spore print, gills attached to the stem, wavy edge to the cap, ring around the stem, viscous when wet, bruises blue when crushed, etc.

There are a lot of characteristics that will show you exactly what you have. And if you're going to eat anything, ever, start with just a tablespoon and keep a sample of what you ate in case you get sick, they can identify it.

Be cautious but don't be afraid. There are mushrooms in the Northwest that are light lilac, and deep purple. There is a mushroom that can get a foot tall with a red stem and yellow pores instead of gills, and a cap like dark brown suede, gorgeous and good to eat. There is nothing like finding a cluster of Amanita muscaria, just like the pictures in the books - bright red with white spots. NOT EDIBLE, though Ukrainian peasants used to get high eating them. Doesn't sound like a good trip, though, since you throw up for 3 days while you're hallucinating. Pretty disgusting and dangerous. But the plant itself is extraordinarily beautiful.

Anyway, soon as it starts raining, I'll be out in the woods. The gypsy (Rozites caperata) is waiting for me.

Spring and fall are the best times. By the way, morels are hollow and the pine-coney top is attached to the stem. If it's all crumply and similar but NOT attached to the stem it's not a morel. Some of that type are edible and some will make you pretty sick. Remember, at least THREE positive identifiers in your field guide before eating anything, and then test first. And NEVER eat anything growing out of a cup in the soil.

okay, yum.

• mcsix
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Buzzy, for all the information. It was very interesting!

• bogey13
    18 years ago

My 8 month old Daschund started throwing up on Aug 29. He was acting normal (like a 100 mph puppy does) so I didn't worry. I took the kids out on our boat and when I got back home 3 hours later, he was very lethargic and very unlike his normal self. I paniced (he is a member of the family) and got ready to take him to the emergency room. My husband said to wait until the morning, but I didn't.

At the emergency room, they told me his red blood cell count was high, as was his temperature, but they felt he only had a virul infection. They hooked him up to an IV with fluids and told me to pick him up in the am.

I brought him to my regular vet the next morning, hoping they would know something more. All the vets #1 question to me was if he had gotten ahold of rat poison.

To make a long story short, he did not make it through the night. They preformed an autopsy and discovered "massive liver necrosis" which is "most likely due to the ingestion of toxic mushrooms. The red capped mushroom known as AMANITA is the most commonly known."

I have searched my small yard everywhere and of course, have been looking online to find a photo or two and have not found any matches. I did find one mushroom that was a fist sized ball, and when I moved it with my foot it made a great "pop" sound and had black dust inside of it. Other than that, I have only found small grey flat ones that are coming up in small areas with dead grass.

I now have a 2 month old Daschund and am very interested in knowing more about ridding my lawn of any dangerous mushrooms. It is a new home and many trees were taken down. The edges of the lawn are trees with pinestraw over the areas where other trees used to be.

Can you give me any advise? Any will help. I live in North Carolina.

• mfairlamb_yahoo_com
    18 years ago

I have dogs too, and I could care less about eating the mushrooms in my yard. I DO, however, care deeply about killing the mushrooms in the yard. Is there nothing one can do or use to simply kill these mushrooms?

I think it's great for some people to eat and enjoy mushrooms but it would be nice to learn how to kill them off if desired.

• sjperrymi_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

My dogs have had diarrhea and been throwing up sporadically for the past week or so, right around the time we started having a lot of rain and a ton of mushrooms popped up in the yard. The vet agrees the mushrooms are a likely cause. And, I don't like to eat or see mushrooms in my yard. So if anybody has any suggestions for eliminating them - preferably with something that would be less toxic to pets than the mushrooms are - please help. Thanks

• arivel_qx_net
    17 years ago

While browsing the web to find out how to kill my lawn mushrooms, I came across this page. Thank you to all those who appreciate mushrooms ( I like mine on pizza, thank you) And I appreciate those who are adventurous enough to identify and eat wild mushrooms. But I am a mother of two and have two different types of mushrooms growing in my front yard where we cut down a tree two or three years ago.
    I also have pets and had my dog get very ill last year and after hearing what this other dog went through It sounded very familiar. I am more concerned about my children and animals than I am about eating wild mushrooms. Please let me know of something that will rid my yard of these mushrooms. thank you

• flijenny
    17 years ago

Although there may be many who enjoy mushrooms, I am not one of them! I have some clumps of the big white mushrooms where there was once a big tree and just noticed some smaller brown mushrooms on the side of the house which escalated my frustration with these darn mushrooms!! I unfortunately do NOT and cannot stand just leaving them be!! Please let me know what would work best to get rid of these without harming the grass. I don't know if lime would work and do you just pour lime juice in the area?! We have a "clay" type dirt which I am not sure if that would work or not. Please help!! Thank you!

• dottyinduncan
    17 years ago

LIme. We had wonderful edible mushrooms in our pastures until we decided that they needed lime. Since then - nothing. I also have puff ball mushrooms in a perennial bed that has barkmulch on it and gets lots of water. Unfortunately, not the large edible ones we used to get in Ontario.

• reg_pnw7
    17 years ago

How on earth did this thread get hijacked by nonlocals insisting on death for all mushrooms????

No we cannot help you ID your mushrooms in north carolina. Mushrooms are very location specific. I know about western WA mushrooms but that's it and I would never ever presume to be able to ID mushrooms from somewhere else. Especially from brief descriptions.

There are not that many poisonous mushrooms in our area. And there are plenty of safely edible ones that are very easy to identify. And just because the vet said it was mushrooms that poisoned the dog doesn't mean it was. They're just guessing because the patient is insisting on an answer. My dogs show no interest in mushrooms at all. I even have photos I've taken of panther amanitas in the lawn, being sniffed by the dog trying to figure out just what the heck is mom so interested in??? there's nothing here but this dumb old mushroom. Kids are more likely to eat one but I'd be skeptical of the dogs. What about snail bait poisoning? much more common in dogs.

Really, the only way to eliminate mushrooms from the yard is to eliminate the yard. Either scrape everything down to bedrock and leave it that way, or pave over everything, or move to an apartment. In other words you just kinda have to deal with what nature sends your way and mushrooms are a ubiquitous part of nature. Like rain and wind. How many kids die of mushroom poisoning? very very few, if any. Usually when you hear of people dying of mushroom poisoning, at least around here, it's southeast asian immigrants mistaking a delicacy from back home for the extremely deadly destroying angel mushroom that grows here but not there. (location, location, location.) There's just not that many intensely poisonous mushrooms out there. Just a little vigilance will go a long way towards protecting the kiddos and the dogs. Gather up the mushrooms and toss them in the trash. You can't kill them. And they're not poisonous to touch.

• zzepherdogg
    17 years ago

Unless you are doing something organic, remember that dogs do occasionally munch grass. You could do the dog more harm by using a treatment than letting the 'shrooms go. I am in the PNW, and was interested to see the post about few poison ones here. It never occured to me that my doggies would try to eat them. Just another reason to get rid of lawn, HeeHee!

• knig7400
    16 years ago

I recently purchased this home in March 2007 and have never seen mushrooms until tonight.

Since i am terrified of snakes and it is quite hot here in LA, I had a friend put down some lime on Sunday. Now I have white mushrooms. Don't get me wrong I would rather have the mushrooms than the snakes. However, I am concerned about if they are dangerous to my kids (ages 6 and 5)?

Can someone advise me how to get rid of them without any harming affects to the children?

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    16 years ago

You might see about getting a lead on a mycologist in your area - maybe an Extension Service or Master Gardeners group would have a number.

That might be one way to get a certain ID.

But similar looking, and different, mushrooms could also appear.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Gosh, has no one ever heard of a rake? That is the easiest way to get rid of mushrooms growing in lawns, but it does require a bit of effort on the homeowner's part, something it seems like most of us try desperately to avoid :-) Most mushrooms will develop at specific times of the year, typically spring and fall when the the soil is moist, the air is humid and temperatures are conducive. They disappear when the summer warms up and things go dry, like they do with regularity here each summer.

• misslemonverbena
    16 years ago

I have to agree about the rake thing. If you want to get rid of them, it really is that simple folks. And puppies & young kids who'll put anything in their mouths should not be left unsupervised in the yard. Having said that I had a good friend who's child ate a lawn mushroom when they weren't looking for one second. They had to call the poison control center, but fortunately he was fine.

One thing I haven't seen on here is any mention of the mushroom in the Malheur forest of Oregon. DNA testing confirmed that it is the largest single living organism on earth ( the great barrier reef is made up of many different organisms), covering 2200 acres. and is very, very old possibly up to 8,000 years old. Pretty awe inspiring. Worth googling if you want to know more.

• schizac
    16 years ago

Some good info from Buzzy, thanks...but so much panic over fungi (and snakes???). Get a grip folks. Your pets and kids are in much greater danger from the substances we put on the lawn and in the environment than they are from naturally occurring mushrooms and reptiles.

We'd be up to our eyeballs with undecayed organic material without fungi, and up to our eyeballs with slugs and mice without snakes & other predators.

• misslemonverbena
    16 years ago

Bogey13 I'm sorry about your dog. I found this website that has pictures of common lawn mushrooms & tells which ones are toxic. Hope it helps:

americanmushrooms.com/lawnandgarden

And flijenny, you need to know that when people talk about lime, they don't mean actual lime juice. It's a mineral added to the soil to change the PH level. I would hate for you to be responsible for a serious Mojito shortage.

• ellen_portland
    16 years ago

We have a 5 month old puppy with a mischievous streak who grabs at everything in our yard- we have put my beginning garden behind chicken wire, but can't get away from the yard mushrooms. We have a large yard and it's a never ending battle to make sure there aren't any hanging around... we also occassionally have some different ones spring up where the remenants of two trees used to be as well.

We have contacted the Master Gardener Program and they told us about this website: www.wildmushroom.org and they will hopefully have someone who can ID these things and put our fears to rest. Now the only problem is having the time to go see them when those little beasties show up without warning.

• jenife
    16 years ago

Hello to all. I have been researching how to kill/get ride of lawn mushrooms. Let me explain why I am wanting to do this. I don't want to do it all over my lawn but only in the places(back yard) that my puppy (Pug) and my kids (home daycare; 6 months to preschool age) are at. My Pug had to be taken to the animal hospital a few weeks ago for vomiting, we didn't know why but now we do. Mushrooms!! Sunday night he was doing it again with loose bowels and we found his first vomit. It had mushrooms in it. That is why I started looking for how to get rid of them. Anyone who knows about "Small" breed dogs, Pugs in my case, knows that they eat everything and you can't tell if they are "smelling" or "eating" (noses are too close to the ground).lol Anyways that is why I am wondering if there is something that I can use to treat my back yard to help remove the mushrooms. I also don't want the temptation for the kids or my Pug. Any help will be very much appreciated.

• riverjop_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

LISTEN! If I wanted mushrooms in my lawn I would get rid of my lawn!!! I want veggies in my garden ....not deer! I want the wood siding on my house to stay strong, I don't want carpenter ants or termites in it "just because it's natural" If I had a lawn with cottonwood shoots coming up everywhere, I wouldn't say "Oh it's natural, just leave them" Thats crazy!
    Look I love mushrooms as much as anyone, I just don't want to pick them from my lawn!
    I have fairy rings in my lawn and they have been there for at least three years. They seem to be getting bigger and more plentiful and are definitaly ruining the lawn with multiple dead spots which are round and growing larger every month. So I will try the lime and/or the baking soda if it works fine and if it doesn't I guess I'll have to live with the dead lawn look. But I won't be saying "awww it's natural leave them be" Next time your neighbors dog takes a crap in your lawn, right next to your door, "leave it" it's natural!

• jitterbug_gardener
    16 years ago

Bogey13, my heart goes out to you. What an awful story and it represents a fear that I share. I live in Woodinville and I have lots of variety of mushrooms that I have yet to identify. When possible, I pick them all as soon as I see them because of my fear that my dogs or cats may eat them. Yours is not the first story I've heard of this - and the other took place in the Pacific NW. Not sure that the mushroom expert is a dog expert - they are naturally curious and don't have any sixth sense about what's okay to eat and what's not . . . just like kids and people.

For what it's worth, I don't agree that one shouldn't ask questions of knowledgeable gardeners in other zones. I would have posted my question here, too, as it sounded like there were some people who knew about this issue very close to your heart.

Certainly most of us know that we can't eliminate all mushrooms and that raking is easier than picking them and that nuking them is creating as much danger as leaving them there. But it's a reasonable question to ask "helpful" people if there's an organic way to limit the number of toxic mushrooms in your yard. And if the "expert" doesn't have an answer other than "no", then I would think that "no" would suffice. :-)

Again, thanks for sharing your warning. And good luck with your new pup.

• gwboolean
    16 years ago

I have mushrooms too, but not interested in getting rid of them. These are Fly Agaric Buttons and they grow in about three areas of my yard. Additionally, they are psychadilic (although I don't do that anymore and besides ingesting mushrooms just plain scares me anyway). But they are really cool looking (red with white spots or just red). If I knew how I would include a picture.

• gsusluvs
    15 years ago

I realize there hasn't been activity on this board for a while, but I wanted to post a question in case someone has a relevant comment.

We have a large grass area, and want it to remain only grass. Children and dogs running/playing on a slippery field of mushrooms seems gross and unsafe.

So we need to get rid of the mushrooms. I thought we might use an eye-dropper to apply roundup directly to each mushroom head. The idea is to minimize the grass poisoning, but direct the poison to the mushroom. Has anyone tried this and what were your results?

• pinkybell
    15 years ago

gsusluvs~Got a rake? Just rake them out. They break off easily. You can even give one a kick with your shoe and it'll come out. It's really not as a big deal as many are letting on. Forget the roundup, you'll be wasting your time and money. They'll just pop up again after a good rain. Just RAKE! RAKE! RAKE.

• waynage4u
    15 years ago

I have to side with "pinkybell", I've tried liming and top-dressing organically in effort to alter the PH level but my Maple tree (30 ft tall) has a lot of surface roots that seem to correlate with some circle-like growth of mushrooms popping up at will. I mulch cut the lawn and this may unwittingly promote the condition but if I de-thatch and/or aireate consistently, I am just grinning and bearing with it. I have 2 dogs that don't seem interested in them and I am more concerned with what I put down on the lawn than mushrooms. Rake off or hand pick twice weekly), compost and top-dress organically the following spring.

• keyskindagirl
    15 years ago

Howdy all. I live down here in the Florida Keys and most people here don't have lawns. Most "yards" consist of some kind of rock or mulch ground cover. Our yard is pearock. I have never had a problem before, but suddenly I have mushrooms growing BIG TIME. I mean, hundreds of them, mostly consolidated in one area. I can't really rake them out, as the pearock is small, and picking up the pieces of mushrooms would be like picking up grains of rice. What can I put on them to get rid of them? I am not worried about killing grass, so would a bleach/water solution work? What about a fungicide? I have dogs and I can't keep one of them away from the 'shrooms, and I don't want them to get sick.

• tennisman1954
    15 years ago

The following is form the Sky Nursery website:

Currently the only product available to discourage mushrooms is Consan 20. Lime is not effective against fungi. If using Consan 20, please consult an expert at Sky Nursery for directions.

For Fairy Ring, apply Consan 20 as directed for mushrooms or drench the area with a wetting agent such as Water-In. Please consult an expert at Sky Nursery for directions.

• tbebette_Gmail_com
    15 years ago

I had to hospitalize my dog once after catching him eating a mushroom. Luckily $600 bucks later he is doing fine. If anyone knows a way to get rid of them I'd greatly appreciate it. My dog is pretty much prisoner inside of the home now. For potty time we search the yard before we even bring him out on a leash. Even then he has managed to smell them under the grass before they are tall enough to be visible to us and ate them up. He is extremely attracted to them for some reason. He's only 6 months old and we've had to make him vomit with hydrogen peroxide 6 times already after eating them.... yes, with us beside him and while on a leash. Just one split second chomp and it's down his throat. We have at least 4 kinds in the yard, red, brown yellow and tan. The vet could not identify the specimen I brought to her and I cannot positively identify them from photos online so I don't really know what I'm dealing with. Raking is not an option because they pop up within a couple hours time. He can easily sniff them out before they are high enough out of the ground for us to see. It has been a nightmare.

• vgwjme
    12 years ago

Several years ago I had a big bunch of mushrooms in the front yard. They seemed to be spreading in lines, not rings. One morning I came out and picked a full 5 gallon bucket from one day�s growth. They looked like they were progressing to the neighbor�s yards.

I did some research and some university sites said golf courses used a product, I think called "Prairie", but I could not find any sources. They also used a "wetting agent".

I finally decided to try a fungicide. I bought GreenLight brand Fung-away from a local nursery. The product came in a hose end sprayer. I added some of the wife�s laundry spot cleaner "Sunburst" as a wetting agent. I used one quart in an area of about 15 by 20 feet. Then I soaked it in good, trying to get it deep enough to get to the actual fungus area. This worked. I used one Qt Sept 08, and had to use another Pint along the edge of the previous infection in Aug 10. No more mushrooms. However, in July, 11 I have a new infection, in a line, right at the edge of the area I previously treated.

Green Light no longer makes or sells Fung-away. My container label was damaged, but the active ingredient as best I can see was Triadmegon, Triaoliyil and Chionophanory. Do not quote me on these names, the label is almost gone.

Since I could not buy Fung-away, I tried a Bayer Advanced product called Fungus Control for Lawns, with Propiconazole. I made two applications, first 8 oz with Shout in July, and the rest of the quart in early September. Today I picked more mushrooms on that line. I need to find another product. Can I buy Consan-20 in California?

• mistyreiny
    10 years ago

I have two words to say that will fix this problem, lawnmower and arsenic