Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawiff

Nursery in Seattle Area That Sells Heirloom Tomatoes?

dawiff
14 years ago

Does anyone know of a nursery in the Seattle area that sells heirloom tomato seedlings? I have been to two and have not been able to find Cherokee Purple. None of my seeds have sprouted, and even if they do sprout in the next few days, they won't be big enough to plant out. :-(

I am willing to go as far north as Marysville and as far south as Puyallup or Tacoma. I grow Romas too, but they're everywhere.

Comments (12)

• beluga01
    14 years ago

Have you tried growing them from seed? Easy to do although, Obviously, much too late to start now. If you call me next February I'd be happy to plant a few extras in my greenhouse for you, but you have to come pick them up on San Juan Island. This year, I'm growing one of each: Wyche's yellow, Paul Robeson, Black Krim, Thesalonika, and Carbon. Plus 4 each of Romas and Marzano Sauce.

• pepperdude
    14 years ago

Call Minter's Earlington Greenhouse in S. Seattle/Renton. They have had large numbers of heirloom tomatoes in past years.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

I thought of them also, but didn't know what they had in stock at present.

• dawiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction! I'll check with Minter's. Good idea to call first. Thanks again!

• honeybea5
    14 years ago

I saw a bunch of good sized Cherokee Purple tomato plants at Top Foods at 220th and Aurora earlier this week!

• dawiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In case anyone in North Seattle is interested, I found Cherokee Purple at the Sky Nursery in Shoreline (on the north side of Aurora, just beyond the Fred Meyer). They had loads of different kinds, all nice and healthy looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sky Nursery

• lucretia1
    14 years ago

Top in Lake Tapps also had some--I just got a nice "Mortgage Lifter", and they had a few other varieties. Not a huge selection, but some good looking plants.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Sky's tomato variety list is on their site. The heirlooms are at the end.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sky Nursery 2009 Tomatoes

• Patrick888
    14 years ago

If you don't find what you want at Sky, you might check with Furney's in Des Moines. I was in there about a week ago and they had some heirloom type tomatoes, but I don't remember which ones...I was only looking for Sun Gold & didn't pay close attention to all the others.

I just returned from Dallas where I visited a nursery that was closing out their tomatoes in 4" pots at 50 cents apiece...a large selection of nice plants. Too bad I couldn't bring several home!

• garden98011
    14 years ago

Sky has many varieties of heirlooms AND a new 35,000sqft greenhouse. Coupled with their incredible customer service, I rarely go elsewhere.

• muddydogs
    14 years ago

Heirlooms aren't that great. Better tomatoes have been developed over the years.

• pepperdude
    14 years ago

Heirlooms are great if you want disease, cracked fruit and low productivity though. Yes they have flavor, but don't be misled. Many/most homegrown, modern varieties do also.

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years