Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nandina - transplanting

Posted by scott24 PNW (My Page) on
Thu, May 26, 11 at 15:05

Hello, I will be in the need to transplant a number of my plants due to transforming my yard. When is it absolutely too late to be moving plants/shrubs such as a 5' Nandina, Hydrangea, Lonicera, Barberry, etc.? I have lots of good compost coming in. We all know the warm weather really doesn't start until after the 4th of July. I just don't want to wait too long, but also I've been waiting for each stage in this transformation to occur. Which of course, is always slower than one would ideally prefer.
Thanks for your suggestions, in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nandina - transplanting

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 26, 11 at 21:37

Once the new top growth is present timing for digging up is terrible, especially on deciduous kinds, which may shrivel if dug when leaves are young and soft.

Do not dig compost into ground for shrubs unless entire potential root growth zone for many years is amended. Much better just to plant in (loosened) existing soil, use compost as mulch. Planting long-lived plants in small holes, pockets or zones of amended soil places these at a disadvantage, due to how water moves into, through and out of different soil textures.

o

"Absolutely too late"? I'm not sure there is such a time :-) If care is taken to dig and maintain a sufficiently large rootball, one can transplant at any time in this area.

Yes, there are more ideal times than well into the growing season but if circumstances dictate, transplanting can be done any time. Be sure the plant and surrounding soil has been thoroughly watered before attempting the move, pick a day with cool cloudy weather if possible or dig late in the day, have your new planting location already prepared and replant ASAP. Water in well.

Transplanting is not all that different from new planting, except that you are dealing with an established root system. If you can reduce or eliminate disturbance to the bulk of the root system as best you can and minimize transplant shock, you should be fine.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, May 28, 11 at 0:38

Cutting the roots of a deciduous shrub in June is quite likely to result in collapsing of the foliage. Specimen will probably not die, if kept well watered, but will look bad for some time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here