Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quince tree, leaf problem, fungicide

Posted by maltby (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 07 at 15:10

I previously posted that I was interested in a quince tree (cydonia)and ten days ago I bought one at Flower World, smyrna variety, about 10 ft at its heighest point.

Its now starting to flower, but I am also noticing some leaf damage, turning brown and shriveling up. Yesterday, someone else remarked that they also had a quince, and they had to apply a fungicide every year before it flowered o/w the leaves would get brown and curl up and it would look crappy.

Is this par for the course for Quince? Is it fire blight, rust etc and if so what fungicide should I use or is it too late for this season?

The canopy of my tree is much more full on one side than the other, and the not full side is where the problem is now. Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quince tree, leaf problem, fungicide

I'll just add that my serviceberry tree also has something going on with it that might be the same thing.

Plus, if my original post gets a reply, maybe it won't stay stuck to the very top of the page. It's lonely at the top.

o

I have 2 quince trees (one Smyrna and one Aromatanaya) and have never had any problems with fungal diseases. In fact, they seem to be the easiest trees in the orchard with regards to pest problems. I have seen leaf edges turn brown, both on quince and on pears, when there was a late frost after the leaf buds had broken.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, May 3, 07 at 14:17

According to the PNW Disease Management Handbook used in Extension Service offices of the NW, quince are subject to all the problems that afflict pears.

As for the serviceberry, they commonly get rust.

o

My quince tree gets varying amounts of leaf spot every year whether I lime-sulphur it in winter or not. Some of the quince fruits have the same spotting, but it is minor compared to leaves. Tree still looks fine. Have never seen actual leaf shriveling.

o

• Posted by
    Leigh K. Lydecker Jr 6
    (lkljr@aol.com) on
    Thu, Jul 7, 11 at 9:49

My Quince trees have a lot of brown leaves and deformed fruit.
What do yhou recommend for a spray or other treatment

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here