Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted Purple&Gold

Posted by moekate Seattle, WA (My Page) on
Wed, May 27, 09 at 15:19

Hi All,
I'm nearing my college graduation, and am developing a serious gardening bug!
As a newbie-project, I would love to pot some purple/gold (yellow) flowering plants, with the hopes that they may be blooming during my mid-June graduation party.
Does anyone have suggestions on (preferably inexpensive species to start with) pot-able flowering plants that come in purple/gold, and might still be blooming in June? (I was thinking possibly pansies & marigolds but worry that it might be too late in the season?)
Also, soil type information would be very appreciated-- I have an over-abundance of rich, dark, composted manure.
Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted Purple&Gold

There is a beautiful purple "Million Bells" that is great in a pot -- gives lots of bloom and cascades over the side. You would have to get smallish marigolds in a rich gold colour to go with this deep purple. I think small variety because the big ones don't usually bloom until later in the summer if the weather stays cool. Pansies would be lovely, but you have to pick off the dead flowers or they will stop blooming. Million Bells don't need deadheading which is why I prefer them to petunias. The rule for pots is: thrillers, fillers and spillers -- spiky plants, fat filler plants and cascading ones. Sounds like a fun project. I'm sure others will have suggestions for 'thriller' plants.

o

You need potting soil in your pots. Not composted manure. Manure is a soil amendment, not a potting medium. Way too rich and will kill your plants.

Million bells and marigolds are excellent suggestions. If you have shade, then impatiens come in purple but not yellow. There are pansies that are purple and yellow, as well as purple, and yellow, and any other color. Mid June should be ok still for pansies.

o

How about the Tradescantia 'Sweet Kate' flowers Violet blue, foliage golden.

o

I think you should go with green and yellow. Just kidding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here