Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vdixit_gw

buy and grow Curry plant in Seattle

vdixit
16 years ago

Hello all,

Is the Curry plant (one thats used in Indian food) hardy in this region? Does it survive our winters or is it strictly an indoors plant?

If it can be grown can anyone tell me which nursery would one buy it from?

Cheers,

Vaishali

Comments (12)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

I may be wrong, if so someone correct me. The curry plant that I know Helichrysum italicum, is not used to make curry, the leaves do indeed smell like curry. I believe curry powder is made up of a blend of several different spices.
    H.i. has yellow flowers, is a good container plant and is drought tolerant. The flowers are sometimes used as dried flowers. This plant is hardy for me so I would think it would be for you. Look for it in the herb section of most garden centers.

A......

• xantippe
    16 years ago

I have had excellent luck with my curry plant. It has been through three moves in its three years (from ground to pot to ground again) and has not blinked. I LOVE it. Now, as for what it would taste like... I have no idea. But below is a recipe link from "The Splendid Table", an NPR cooking show I really like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pilau Rice with Saffron and Fresh Curry Leaves

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

Hmmm, I did a bit of searching and found another curry plant, Murraya koenigii, apparently these leaves are used in Indian cooking. Check the link below.

A......

Here is a link that might be useful: Curry-leaf Tree

• vdixit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, Murraya koenigii is the Indian curry plant. THanks for the link. I think it will not even survive our summers forget winters!! I should have known. I guess I have to buy them at the Indian store as always.
    Vaishali

• seattlelisa
    16 years ago

Vaishali,

Here I am in Seattle, thinking exactly the same thing! I want to grow a curry tree. From looking around here, and at other sites, it seems like we can grow it in Seattle, in a container, as long as it is brought in during the cold weather.

There is someone growing it in New York who is offering seeds. You can find the posting on the Upstate New York forum. allgrnbrewer is the user name. If they can be grown in New York, no reason we shouldn't be able to do the same.

I've got investigate my yard a bit to see where I could put a container for the summer, and my house for the rest of the year.

Good Luck!

Lisa

• MythTomes_gmail_com
    15 years ago

I too am looking to grow my own curry leaves. In the meantime, does anyone have a list of stores in Seattle that carry them? I have found one in the U District. But I fear that they will not have a good supply! Lets trade sources.

• tziporra_simcha
    13 years ago

Well, I blew $20 including shipping and bought a curry tree seedling (the kind for cooking) to try and grow in a pot here. Probably the worst year ever to try it, it's been so cold. I could have bought a LOT of curry leaves for that price. By the way, I get mine at Pablas Indian Grocery in Renton if you are ever down that way. I'll let you know how it goes.

• dottyinduncan
    13 years ago

I only share this recipe with my very best friends, so here is my favorite Curry recipe. It's dastardly simple but you have to promise not to tell anyone else:

Easy Chicken Curry

Skinless chicken thighs

with or without bones, as many as you need
    Mix together:
    1 tins mushroom soup undiluted
    1 c miracle whip (I use low fat)
    1/2 lemon squeezed
    curry powder or Patak Curry paste (my favorite) 1 Â 2 Tbls or to taste
    Pour sauce over raw chicken in casserole dish and cook in 350 oven for about 1 hour. Top browns nicely.
    Very forgiving recipe -- you can cook warmer or cooler if necessary for other things.

• Bay Area Gardener
    13 years ago

Murraya koenigii also ships from Amazon: this option looks to cost you ~27$ with shipping and taxes.

• Rick
    13 years ago

I've been growing a curry tree (Murraya koenigii) for a few years. I think I got mine from Logees. It has done so-so in the sunroom. I'm in the foothills of the Cascades east of Tacoma, so it's a little cooler in the winter here than in Seattle, but I keep the sunroom above 40-45 in the winter. I've almost thrown the plant out a few times but then it blooms or starts growing again and gets a second lease on life. The leaves have kind of a weird smell to them, as Tom indicates above I can't imagine using it in what we think of for curry recipes. Mine is not branching, just growing straight up about 4 feet tall now, otherwise I'd be happy to offer cuttings. But assuming you have limited budget or limited space, I'd look elsewhere for an interesting plan to grow.

• nancyanne_2010
    13 years ago

If you ever decide to get rid of it, I'll trade you for it.