Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disposal of small rocks?

Posted by kruise (My Page) on
Fri, May 22, 09 at 15:40

Can't find an appropriate forum so here it goes.

When I dig to plan anything I either run into solid clay or rocks. The rocks seem to be part of debris used to create a railroad grade. The rocks are mixed with clay and are right under the sod. They range from small rocks to the size of a man's fist. Where does one dispose of rocks?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disposal of small rocks?

• Posted by pdxmark 8/9 Portland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, May 22, 09 at 15:54

I used to toss them in the trash. Now I keep/add to a pile of them to be used for various future projects.

o

I dug out a spot under all of my hose bibs and filled in with rocks so it doesn't get muddy.

o

Collect them in a pile then occasionally post them for free on a "Freecycle" type website... people will drop whatever they're doing and come running for free rocks. :)

o

If you have a fair quantity and want to dispose of them on your own time schedule, try a local landfill that accepts clean dirt/clay/rocks/cement/bricks, etc.

In East Portland, one such landfill charges a $10 minimum, but a whole pickup load would probably not be much more than $10.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 24, 09 at 1:20

Walls, pathways, mulching...

o

• Posted by elkins 8 Portland OR (My Page) on
    Sun, May 24, 09 at 17:58

I've got a gazillion of those rocks too, although I think in my case it's because this property used to be riverbed. I absolutely *love* rock, but these smooth round ones are rather annoying. You can't make walls out of them, because they're too round, and you can't make comfortable paths out of them, because they're too big; and if you try to mulch with them, weeds just grow right through the cracks and when you try to pull them out---avalanche! I've edged all of my beds and pathways with them, and scattered them in amongst my heat-loving herbs, but I still find myself in possession of piles and piles of the rotten things. I'd love to use them for *something*, but I'm completely at a loss as to what else they'd be good for. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here