Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
An Abundance of swallows

Posted by dottyinduncan z8b coastal BC (My Page) on
Tue, May 28, 13 at 15:45

For the past few days we have had dozens of swallows swooping and catching bugs above our property! They are a mixed group of either violet-green or tree-swallows plus many barn swallows. What a sight. And, what wonderful bug-catchers they are! Given the continuous wet conditions there must be a hatch of things but these guys are sure taking care of it. It certainly makes it worthwhile putting up swallow boxes. We are being repaid in a very good way.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: An Abundance of swallows

• Posted by drtdgr z8PNWTacoma (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 8:26

I adore swallows. I've been watching them at some of the places I work. Harmony Hill, in Union by the Hood Canal, has many birdhouses and I must post a picture of the babies hanging out waiting for food.

There are swallows closer by Puget Sound where I live, but I haven't seen them at my house.

I've seen a lot of bald eagles around too, more than usual.

o

We used to have tons of Violet-green Swallows in my neighborhood, nesting near the pond a few blocks away. The past two years have been so terribly wet, I don't think they were able to nest. This year isn't looking any better :-(

o

Four-story swallow nest: Every year they build on the old one. I though they couldn't go any higher, but sure enough, they built on top of last years. Here's a picture of the cute babies the day before they left their nest

o

I had a box up for years where I live, now I haven't seen any in at least 5 or 6 years

o

Steelskies, what a wonderful picture! I think these must be barn swallows because of the orange colour. We haven't had many of these around in the past couple of years -- they are SO beautiful!

o

Dotty lucky you, I haven't seen a swallow around here for quite a few years, we used to have Barn Swallows, Violet Greens and Tree Swallows but they all seemed to have moved on to greener pastures. When the Tree Swallows arrived I knew spring was here to stay.

Annette

o

Hi Annette. This began as last year's posting, but 2014 has been great too. I haven't seen barn swallows on the property though. Also, between the swallows and the bats I haven't seen a mosquito either! Happy summer.

o

We've had an abundance of swallows this year in Elbe. I just moved here last November and this is my first spring/summer season. Seeing them made me extremely happy as I thought my birds in Mississippi would be the last small ones I'd see.

o

Thanks to all for your replies. It makes me so sad when they leave. I love their little chirping and flying around my farm. It also makes me so sad when I read people asking how to kill them because they are in their barns. How could anyone............ They are my favorite bird!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here