Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottyinduncan

An Abundance of swallows

dottyinduncan
10 years ago

For the past few days we have had dozens of swallows swooping and catching bugs above our property! They are a mixed group of either violet-green or tree-swallows plus many barn swallows. What a sight. And, what wonderful bug-catchers they are! Given the continuous wet conditions there must be a hatch of things but these guys are sure taking care of it. It certainly makes it worthwhile putting up swallow boxes. We are being repaid in a very good way.

Comments (9)

• drtdgr
    10 years ago

I adore swallows. I've been watching them at some of the places I work. Harmony Hill, in Union by the Hood Canal, has many birdhouses and I must post a picture of the babies hanging out waiting for food.

There are swallows closer by Puget Sound where I live, but I haven't seen them at my house.

I've seen a lot of bald eagles around too, more than usual.

• flowerpowereverett
    10 years ago

We used to have tons of Violet-green Swallows in my neighborhood, nesting near the pond a few blocks away. The past two years have been so terribly wet, I don't think they were able to nest. This year isn't looking any better :-(

• steelskies
    9 years ago

Four-story swallow nest: Every year they build on the old one. I though they couldn't go any higher, but sure enough, they built on top of last years. Here's a picture of the cute babies the day before they left their nest

• vinnybob
    9 years ago

I had a box up for years where I live, now I haven't seen any in at least 5 or 6 years

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steelskies, what a wonderful picture! I think these must be barn swallows because of the orange colour. We haven't had many of these around in the past couple of years -- they are SO beautiful!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Dotty lucky you, I haven't seen a swallow around here for quite a few years, we used to have Barn Swallows, Violet Greens and Tree Swallows but they all seemed to have moved on to greener pastures. When the Tree Swallows arrived I knew spring was here to stay.

Annette

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Annette. This began as last year's posting, but 2014 has been great too. I haven't seen barn swallows on the property though. Also, between the swallows and the bats I haven't seen a mosquito either! Happy summer.

• User
    9 years ago

We've had an abundance of swallows this year in Elbe. I just moved here last November and this is my first spring/summer season. Seeing them made me extremely happy as I thought my birds in Mississippi would be the last small ones I'd see.

• steelskies
    9 years ago

Thanks to all for your replies. It makes me so sad when they leave. I love their little chirping and flying around my farm. It also makes me so sad when I read people asking how to kill them because they are in their barns. How could anyone............ They are my favorite bird!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!