Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Fungus on Twinberries (huckleberry)

Posted by skagit_goat_man_ WA (My Page) on
Sun, May 24, 09 at 15:46

Last year I planted around 20 twinberries in a new thicket of about 300 shrubs/trees. This year two of the twinberries have developed what I'm guessing is a fungal disease. The leaves first get a red tinge then raised red spots appear. Any suggestions of where I can look to see what it may be or does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Fungus on Twinberries (huckleberry)

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 24, 09 at 16:03

Presumably you are asking about twinberry honeysuckle (Lonicera involucrata). I may have seen the same condition you are describing. Don't know what it is, but expect that if is mentioned on the internet it would be in conjunction with the botanical name of the shrub - or maybe the genus of the shrub.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, May 25, 09 at 1:42

Could be several things. Can you post pictures?

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 26, 09 at 0:13

You know I think what I have seen on these is actually a gall. Open one up and see if there is a larva inside.

o

I was wondering if you still have any huckleberry plants left? thank you, Teri

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 23, 09 at 23:08

Twinberry (honeysuckle) is used for L. involucrata, a honeysuckle that produces paired fruits - hence the common name.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here