Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby Hellebore Transplanting

Posted by jennie 8 WA (My Page) on
Tue, May 26, 09 at 16:06

When I was weeding yesterday, I found a baby Hellebore growing near a pathway, where it's likely to get stepped on. Should I transplant it now, or protect it and wait until it's older? It has one true leaf and one seed leaf.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby Hellebore Transplanting

It would be easier now to get a total soil surround of the seedling during the transplant without exposing any roots at all.

I transplanted a whole clump last year when they were just putting out new shoots. Had them in a black pot for a week, just sitting there. This year they are thriving. This tells me hellebore might not be too fussy.

o
RE: Baby Hellebore Transplanting

Hi Jennie,
If it is likely to get stepped on, why not try to dig around it carefully and then lift up the entire trowel full. The root doesn't go down very far when its that small and you shouldn't damage the root. If its H. x hybridus, then you should get lots more babies seeding around the mother plant next spring. I usually dig out baby hellebores when they have two true leaves and almost all of them make it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here