Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaysee_gw

Best small evergreen shrubs for our area?

kaysee
11 years ago

My husband and I are starting our full sun beds. He is a conifer lover and I like small evergreen shrubs for our foundation. He has various Iseli selections (valley cushion,sherwood compact & others), I would like small evergreen shrubs that stay under 3' and don't spread to much. The beds are small 5-7' range. I'm looking for Berberis Buxfolia nana and can't find it anywhere? I have Calluna Vulgaris spring torch. Is Ilex Helleri a good pick...I'm open for any suggestions...Thank you, Kaysee

Comments (12)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Vaccinium moupinese
    Ilex crenata 'Lemon Gem', 'Helleri'
    Lonicera nitida 'Twiggy'
    Hebe albicans 'Red Edge', H. mckeanii - both need exceptional drainage.
    Daphne 'Lawrence Crocker'
    Abelia 'Kaleidoscope'
    Berberis x stenophylla 'Corallina Compacta'
    Escallonia 'Newport Dwarf'
    Pieris 'Cavatine', 'Prelude', 'Little Heath'

Some of these may get wider (and a few possibly taller) than you expect but all will tolerate a reasonable amount of pruning. And of course there are zillions of dwarf conifers as well but a note of caution - the term "dwarf" when applied to conifers only relates to the rate of growth, not the ultimate size. If allowed to grow unchecked for however many years it may take, even the dwarfs can get huge.

• Wayne Reibold
    11 years ago

Mountain Laurels, VERY slow growing, prolific blooming in late spring/early summer, beautiful foliage year round.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Kalmia latifolia is often not a complete success unless conditions are just right, And except for one or a few dwarf cultivars on the market will get much bigger than wanted in this instance, in time.

Stock that has been sold as Berberis buxifolia 'Nana' here often (always?) does not fit the bill, becoming larger and more open than it is supposed to and producing flowers and fruits. You would be much better off with the other evergreen barberry suggested previously.

B. microphylla (syn. B. buxifolia) is also only partially evergreen. B. x media 'Red Jewel' is interesting for being a dwarf "evergreen" shrub with glossy, purple leaves but is also unfortunately apt to go partly bare in winter.

The clone or form of Vaccinium moupinense being sold here now is a real eye-catcher at this time of the year, due to the new growth being red. The rest of the time its leaves are interesting.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

There are hundreds of Calluna vulgaris cultivars that do well here. Ericas too though some Ericas spread a lot more than all Callunas. Heathers and heaths are great with conifers.

Don't forget dwarf Rhododendrons many can take full sun like R.impeditum, 'Ramapo', the bigger 'PJM' and many more.

My 'Crimson Pygmy' barberries exceeded three feet tall and five feet wide....not cute little mounds. Ditto 'Magic Carpet' spirea though not evergreen.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Note that 'Crimson Pygmy' is a synonym of 'Atropurpurea Nana'.

• Wayne Reibold
    11 years ago

Regarding 'Kalmia latifolia is often not a complete success unless conditions are just right, And except for one or a few dwarf cultivars on the market will get much bigger than wanted in this instance, in time.', have you actually grown these? I have and I have SEVERAL I've been growing for years in a variety of conditions. When I say slow growing I mean a few inches a year and I've never lost a one to our winters and I don't baby them. They are very solid in my garden and I have 5 of them, always healthy. Even if you have enough years in you to get one bigger than you want they would be easily pruned then back to 3" of growth a year. The blooms are gorgeous and there is a large variety of beautiful color combinations of whites, reds and maroon. What's cool about them is in most areas they're not common at all so they definitely go noticed.

• kaysee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow!! Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to use Ilex 'Helleri'. I have Spirea 'Golden Elf',Berberis 'Bagatella', Pinus 'Valley Cushion', Acer 'Red Dragon' Pinus 'Oregon Green' Calluna 'Spring Torch' and a ton of other stuff. My husband lives by the book, Garden Design Illustrated by John A. Grant. He has landscaped many homes (as a hobby) using this book a as guidline with amazing results. I'm very excited. Thanks all, Kaysee.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

I've recommended the Grant book on this web site many times.

• dawnbc
    11 years ago

I have several Daphne "summer ice" that are doing great plus they almost bloom year round for me.

• botann
    11 years ago

Kalmia latifolia, 'Minuet' fits your bill. It's small, fairly slow growing, and has a real pretty bloom.
    Here's mine.
    Mike
    {{gwi:1078799}}
    Here's a close up.
    {{gwi:396393}}

• drcindy
    11 years ago

Mike, how in the world do you get your kalmias to bloom so prolifically? I now have 3 in my garden (1 in a container) and they usually have 3-5 clusters of blooms, nowhere near yours!

• botann
    11 years ago

Fairly good soil and partial shade, especially from the hottest southwestern exposure. I do water a few times during the driest part of the summer because of root competition from nearby trees. I have been using woodchips for a mulch for years, and even use it for a top dressing on the groundcovers.
    I think the main problem associated with the problems of Kalmis is siting. Usually in a too dry and exposed place in the garden.
    I was doing a yard makeover for a customer in Shoreline who said, "Get this rhododendron outta here". I explained that it wasn't a rhododendron and I could plant it in a more desirable place in her garden and it would do just fine. She didn't take my suggestion and I ended up taking it home. That has happened to me with Kalmias several times over the years, all because they were planted in the wrong spot. Some people did take my suggestions however.
    Transplanting Kalmias is a little tricky, but if normal good transplanting procedures are followed, it can be done without problems. Watering good until established is the key if transplanting during the growing season.
    I have a few 'Ostbo Red' in too much shade for maximum blooming and will eventually move them. The shade will increase as the years go by, despite me cutting off the lower branches of the trees to the south. It seems that my garden beds need major shuffling every few years because of over planting. I used to propagate a lot of plants from seeds and cuttings.
    'Ostbo Red'
    {{gwi:1078800}}
    Mike

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting