Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Saffron

Posted by winsorw 8 (My Page) on
Fri, May 31, 13 at 16:21

Hello,
I planted saffron bulbs last fall and they were doing well until recently all leaves are turning brown, some even look dead. Does anyone know or have experienced growing them?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Saffron

• Posted by laurell 8 - Washington (My Page) on
    Fri, May 31, 13 at 16:43

That seems pretty normal. Most spring blooming bulbs will begin dying back in mid to late spring. After my crocus stopped blooming a few months ago, I just mowed the lawn, and them along with it.

o

Saffron crocus - Crocus sativus - blooms in fall. While some foliage can be produced in fall after planting and especially during mild winters, these go summer dormant so not unexpected to have the foliage fade away now to be replaced with fresh in late summer. Keep pretty dry during this dormant period.

o

Hello,
Thank you both. That makes sense. I almost water them thinking they were thirsty.
Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here