Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tastytravels_gw

NW Veggie Gardeners...what's growing in your garden?

tastytravels
13 years ago

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I love all the advice and stories shared. I'm a beginner and slowly learning to plant veggies. I'm just curious what you all have planted so far in your vegetable gardens? (P.S: I love pictures! So share if you have some!)

Comments (18)

• rainypnw
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is my second year at serious gardening - having a BALL! We have some big beds - one is 75' x 3', then a pair of raised beds that are 23' x 3' next to each other with a 3' path between them. Plus a basketball court area with a TON of large containers.

We have: 3 varieties of potatoes - all in large tubs - about 15 plants in all (all hilled by now), green pole beans, broccoli, sugar peas, white onions, yellow onions, Walla Walla sweet onions, 4 varieties and 8 plants of cucumbers (pickling and slicing), 8 pepper plants (bell, pimento, and several hot peppers), brand new espalier apple tree with 6 varieties of apple, zucchini, gourds, pumpkins, butter crunch lettuce, red oak lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach, and many pots of various tomatoes. And of course a very full herb garden with ALL the "usual suspects" plus some uniques as well.

I publish a garden blog at the link below where there are LOTS of pictures. Just go there, and work back through the month links at the top right to see our progress.

I'll have another photo batch update before next weekend.

RainyPNW

Here is a link that might be useful: My 2010 Garden Blog - please check it out!

• plantslayer
    13 years ago

I have snow peas, tomatoes, lots of green onions (including some walking onions, which are doing very well here) some peppers (made the mistake of planting too early) and bush beans which have just gotten their first leaves.

I am starting some cucumbers and winter squash inside today, since I have found getting them to germinate outdoors to be kind of tricky.

My tomatoes (which are in a low tunnel) have flowers and a couple have set a few fruit... here's hoping I can get some early tomatoes by July 4 this year!

• knotz
    13 years ago

Nothing yet...We can't get it tilled because it always rains on the weekend!!...lol...I do have tomatoes, cukes, watermelon, peppers all growing in pots ready to go though :)

• tastytravels
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great stuff going into the gardens! Knotz-I hear ya about the rain. I'm ready for some sunshine!!

I forgot to add my gardening news. I'm a 2nd year gardener. Prior to last year I potted a few tomatoes and eggplant on the deck sorta deal. This year I started a bunch of stuff from seed and nursed them along. I'm so proud of myself! Here's some pics of my raised beds and pots:
    http://tastytravels-holly.blogspot.com/2010/05/gardening-whats-growing.html

• yaslan
    13 years ago

{{gwi:582793}}

This is my owari satsuma (she's loaded with fruits!) and potatoes. They're about 2' and growing exponentially fast! I have them in a regular card board box and used hay and fall leaves as bedding. They seem to really like it. Also, I have a mango, lychee, owari satsuma and cherimoya tree. I am a tropical fruit tree newbie. It's definitely a learning process and I am very determined to get these tropicals to bear fruit!

• dottyinduncan
    13 years ago

I have spinach to die for! Never have I grown such good spinach -- big, fat leaves, no slugs and with this weather, it isn't bolting. There has to be an upside to our lousy spring.

• oliveoyl3
    13 years ago

Though we've been working the garden quite a bit, we're spending less time lately as our daughter is getting married mid-June and there's always something to be doing in preparation. No pictures, but we should take some to compare to later on.

I'm the primary gardener, but kids & hubby have helped with the major labor for our mixture of edibles & ornamentals in containers & in raised beds. Now that kids are older, they help less often out of desire & more often just because I ask due to my limitations from fibromyalgia. I have a chair in the garden to encourage me to do some sitting not just working out there.

Last year, converted one corner to SFG raised beds, so this is the 2nd year of them with spring, summer, & fall crops. Addition of calcium carbonate (lime) in fall, home compost, composted manures from our chickens & rabbits, and composted horse manure, as well as a small amount of Whitney Farms fertilizer mixed in with compost in January.

Mulch is used coffee grounds, dried grass clippings, aged wood chips (mixed alder, maple, fir), & a mixture of alpaca & rabbit manure that was held in large black bags to soften up (those reeked horribly, but really added to the soil when I forked in into the ground beds.

Use worry-free slug bait, hand picking, ammonia/water mixture, diatamaceous earth, trap crops (nasturtium, bedding dahlias, pansies) and intercropping to limit the slugs & bugs throughout garden.

It's those baby gray slugs that are feasting nowadays, so I need to get out there with the ammonia water.

In our SFG beds--

Done with:
    *Daikon radish (began to bolt, radish too hot for our taste, so fed to chickens, won't try these again)
    *mustard-spinach (harvested 2 cuttings, plus the outer baby leaves early on, beautiful yellow flowers, pulled some for chickens & chopped up & turned some under for green manure)
    *overwintered red kale tall & blooming like crazy (letting it reseed itself through the peas & see what happens)

Harvesting now:
    *overwintered leeks
    *overwintered swiss chard (pulled all this week)
    *pansy flowers, both small & large ruffled (some fall planted, some spring transplants)
    *Tyee spinach
    *Esmeralda, Romaine, Grand Rapids, Red Sails lettuces
    *chives, regular and garlic chives a bit smaller
    *red & yellow onions from sets planted in Feb, shooting bloom stalks so out they're going
    *herbs for cooking, salads & teas: spearmint, peppermint, lemon balm, oregano, thyme, parsley
    snap pea greens (just a few here & there because I don't want to rob the crop)

Coming up in SFG:
    snap peas & snow peas (1st blooms this week, so 2 weeks until eating time I hope)
    red & savoy cabbages
    kohlrabi
    broccoli

In the open raised beds:
    *rhubarb (1.5 year old transplants harvested a few)
    *Ozark Beauty everbearing strawberries blooming & lots of *green berries (2-3 weeks away from 1st berries)
    *zucchini, green transplanted from store
    *potatoes: Yukon Gold, Banana Fingerling, Red Pontiac
    *garlic: hardneck, topsetting, & elephant
    *onions: noding, walking, sets planted in April
    *cucumbers, sweet success in plastic milk jug, etc. cloches
    *tomatoes: all early maturing 67 days or less under bottomless jugs as well as wallo'waters, black plastic mulch along with grass clippings & rabbit manure/hay mulch
    *scarlet runner bean mixed with pole beans around an old wooden ladder strung with brown twine
    *fall gold raspberries
    *unknown variety raspberries
    *orchard: dwarf apples, semi-dwarf pears, sweet cherries (some semi-dwarf, some not)

Still to plant:
    *bush beans
    *carrots mixed w/ annual flowers (made seed napkins to place in SFG in place of the spring greens & green onions)
    *more lettuces & summer spinach
    *basil (still in the house by sliding window)

Debating on:
    direct sowing zucchini & cukes for August/Sept harvest (have seeds, but space is getting filled up)
    peppers, but might skip & just purchase at Farmer's Market

Soaker hoses set up for tomatoes & cucumbers. Everything has mulch, mulch, mulch along with burlap in the larger gaps, so I don't plan to water except for the lettuce greens and that I do by hand pretty easily. Gives me an excuse to go out in the sunshine & watch the flutter of birds and dragonflies.

Corrine

• tastytravels
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Looks like everyone has a great garden going already. I just wish the rain would simmer down. My veggie plants are taking a beating! I've already lost most of my cucumber plants!

• gial
    13 years ago

Mud, so far that's all that is in the garden.

• vivapdx
    13 years ago

This is my first year getting serious about it...

so far, planted permanently...
    Cherries (Rainer, I think)
    Italian Plum
    Apples - 3 types
    Blueberries (Reka)
    Grapes - 3 types
    Meyer Lemons (in pots)
    Rhubarb
    Asparagus
    Chives
    Sage
    Mint

in the vegie department, these are planted..
    Broccoli
    Peas - 4 types
    Carrots
    Beets
    Spinach
    Kentucky Wonder and Wax pole beans
    Lettuce - mix
    onions
    garlic
    Corn - 2 early sweet types
    Golden Oregano

Seeding this week...
    Lemon Cukes
    Pumpkin
    Watermelon
    Tigger melon
    cantaloupe
    acorn squash
    white scallop squash

Going in the ground next week...
    Tomatoes (Black Prince, Oregon Spring, Stupice, Pineapple, Brandywine, black cherry and yellow pear)
    peppers (orange, wonder and jalapeno)
    cilantro
    Parsley
    and lots of asst. flower starts for the bugs and butterflies. :)

• bham_gardener
    13 years ago

I've got a good run of spinach, kale, chard, lettuce, and endives going right now. I'm on my fourth planting of radishes, and used up the last of the early mizuna mustard about a week ago. I had two 12' rows of arugula but half of it bolted a couple of weeks ago when we had the high 60's temps.

I can feel the warm weather coming, so today I direct-planted beans...

• thesecretofjoy
    13 years ago

What a pretty day!

My roommate and I planted Sugar Pod Peas, carrots in a rainbow blend, easter egg radishes, dark red ornamental sunflowers and leeks. I'm sowing most of the veggies at 1-2 weeks intervals so the harvest is staggered.

I gave the neighbors big shrub a big haircut, (only what was leaning through my fence) and ended up with fantastic green peasticks to plant the bush peas around. One of my roommates saw them stuck into one of the garden beds and thought they'd grown there overnight. I could have had him going MUCH longer than I did.

• gardener_deebs
    13 years ago

It's my second year vegetable gardening as well, and I'm loving it! If only the sun would come out!

Fruit Trees:
    *Cherries
    *Melrose apple
    *Redfree apple
    *Peaches
    *blueberries (multiple varieties)

In raised beds:
    *Lettuce/greens: black seeded simpson, green oak leaf, red deer tongue, Australian yellowleaf, cracoviensis, rouge d'hiver, merlot, arugula, spinach
    *Tomatoes: black giant, black, bali, red russian, eva purple ball, russian 117, yellow peach, stupice
    *Peppers: gypsy, jalapeno
    *Winter squash: small sugar pumpkin, potimarron, musquee de provence
    *Summer squash: ronde de nice
    *Beans: vermont cranberry, rattlesnake, purple, jacob's cattle, agate soybean
    *Peas: green arrow
    *Carrots: dragon, atomic red, scarlet nantes
    *Onions: rossa di milano, generic white sets
    *Potatoes (in wine buckets): russian blue, french fingerling, alaskan sweetheart, caribe, german butterball
    *Cucumbers: lemon, armenian, boothby's blonde, straight eight, tondo di manduria

Herbs:
    *greek oregano
    *italian parsley
    *lemon thyme
    *rosemary
    *mint
    *cilantro
    *garlic chives

Still to go in:
    *Rosa bianca eggplants (under lights)
    *Genovese & Christmas basil (under lights)
    *Long Island Improved Brussel Sprouts (from seed)

Beans:

Rossa di Milano onion:
    {{gwi:363609}}

Greens:

• tastytravels
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good news gardening friends! If we make it through the next few days, they're forecasting highs of 80 for next week!! The sun may shine again in the Pacific NW!! =0)

• pdxfarmer
    13 years ago

Great to see others out there getting it done. I've got lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, peppers still inside, arugula, mizuna, chard, kale, broccoli, cilantro. Checked out your blog, nice garden travels!

BTW travels, consider these types of beds if you want adaptability for our crazy weather:

http://www.byexample.com/homestead/gardens/constructing_raised_garden_beds.html/view

Easily covered to become a rainproof coldframe.

This is perhaps an easier version

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/vertical/msg0622582022244.html?56

Any to anyone who has not, check out Gardening West of the Cascades by Steve Solomon, he's a regional expert (and the founder of Territorial Seeds Co.).

• thesecretofjoy
    13 years ago

I like the hog panel structure for a more permanent greenhouse application, but I think the one built of wood is completely unnecessary for our climate.

Another option is the hoop house. They can be installed in under an hour, are very inexpensive, can be moved easily and are really all you need to extend the growing season in a maritime climate.

Check it out!

Naked hoop house

with clear plastic attached

• tastytravels
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link pdxfarmer. I'm putting "building cold frames" on my daddy-do list. My dad built fabulous raised beds for me last year.

Yippee, very little rain today (after a flooding yesterday) and a high of 68ish. I uncovered my veggies from my floating row covers to let them breath and take in some sunshine and a breeze or two. I also put out my warm weather starters today in the hope that they'll get some much needed sun.

• nancyanne_2010
    13 years ago

Outside:
    lettuce, tomatoes, peas, onions, borage, basella, nasturium (you can eat them), potatoes, onions, pansies (you can eat them), beets, carrots, artichokes, squash, yuzu (citrus), chilean guava, cranberries, loganberries, pineapple guava, olives, cactus pear, wasabi, passion fruit (two edible varieties - edulis and incarnata ----- edulis is inside when it's below 40), date palms

inside (outside when nice)

cloves, cinnamon, pineapple, coffee, capers, vanilla beans , blue lilly pilly, bananas, cocoa, dragonfruit, macadamia nuts, peppercorns, cardamom, cactus apples, carob

I may have left out a few and I did not include those that have not germinated yet.