Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Hemlock in container? Or other suggestions...

Posted by oldgumboots BC (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 16:50

Hello,

I have a spot with a concrete structure (looks like a small well) that is part of a drainage (not sewage) system. You can see it in the picture. I have been trying to think of something evergreen and deer resistant to grow approximately where the tall grass/weeds/rocks are and cover the concrete thing. I would love a dwarf prostrate evergreen but am concerned about the roots getting into the pipes. I'm assuming the roots would invade? Also, not sure what could thrive in the heavy wet clay that is there.

Sooo, am wondering about planting a 'Cole's Prostrate' hemlock in a container, then digging the container into the ground a bit and letting it grow over the structure.

Does this seem like a reasonable way to grow a dwarf hemlock?

How long can you keep an evergreen like this in a container? Will it's growth be limited by being in a container? How large a container would I need?

Are there other evergreens that come to mind that might suit this predicament?

I would love for it to one day become a large mounding green cover.

Thanks in advance!

Ramona

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Hemlock in container? Or other suggestions...

Microbiota decussata?

o

It's not exactly a "dwarf" hemlock, but Mountain Hemlock (Tsuga mertensiana) might do well planted in that wet, thick clay if you have partial sun or partial shade. These are nice ornamental trees that don't get too big over the span of a lifetime. I can't say for sure that its roots won't go after the pipes, but they're not regarded as all that aggressive. I have one planted near sprinkler system piping and it's no problem. Mountain Hemlocks are *very* slow (maybe 4" a year) to 20'-30' in lower elevations (vs. 60'-90' in the mountains). It will require ample mulch and once-a-week watering in the summer.

If you're interested, find a nursery that sells them in 5 gallon pots. (You'll want the tree that's at least 2' tall. Saplings grow something ridiculous like 1" a year.)

o

I have an 'or other suggestion'. Would you consider Ornamental grasses? They can look nice year around and I am not positive, but I would think the roots would be less likely to cause damage. I just googled ornamental grass images and there are quite a few attractive ones. Just a thought...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here