Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waterfallgarden

What to Wear?

WaterfallGarden
9 years ago

Hi neighbors!

I am finally getting serious about working on my garden in my new western Washington home. I moved here from a drier climate and in the past I never needed to garden in the rain. That does not appear to work around here.

Would love some advice on the best clothing to wear to stay at least somewhat comfortable in the rain in my garden.

Comments (6)

• barbe_wa
    9 years ago

I wear a raincoat, rain pants (available at sporting goods stores) and a big droopy rain hat. Also rubber gloves and garden clogs. I look peculiar, but at my age it's not all that important - lol. The biggest problem is that when it's warm rain, sweating becomes annoying.

• kristincarol
    9 years ago

Most important thing to me is waterproof boots. Can stand a bit of damp anywhere but my feet. I find that fleece does a pretty good job keeping me dry if it is drizzle-fog which we have often here on the extreme northern coast of California. Fleece will wick out the perspiration if you are warm enough to sweat and otherwise keeps the moisture on the surface of the garment IF you haven't ruined it by using fabric softener, that is.

• WaterfallGarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, got it.

Waterproof boots and fleece in drizzle and full rain gear when it is raining hard. I think I can manage that. :)

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Are you talking about preparing beds and planting in the spring? Imo it's not the best time for that. After many frustrating, muddy years of trying to work our clay soil in spring, I switched to doing most of my gardening in late summer/early fall. It's the only time I dig and/or divide, and it's better for the soil structure too. The plants have all winter to get settled in and look great the following spring and summer. So in the spring I clean up, prune, fertilize,and spread compost, starting in February when we start to see the sun.

I'm not a vegetable gardener, but on the few occasions I did plant out starts in May, we had cold, wet weather and they died. So I wait until June to plant veggies and annuals.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I wear boots to work in the garden. They have a metal last in the arch so when you put your foot on the shovel and push down hard your shoe doesn't break. Easier on your arches too.
    For a coat, I wear a fleece lined denim jacket and when that gets good and wet, I exchange it with the spare in my truck. When that gets wet, I go in the house. I don't work in a hard rain unless I have to.
    A raincoat without rain pants just funnels the rain to your pants and from there to inside of your shoes. End of day. Wearing both, you can't do any hard work because of the heat and sweat.

I have put enough wood chips in the soil that I can work it almost anytime. I was out tilling and planting today......and chased in by the rain several times. Now is one of them ;-)
    Mike

• nezbine
    9 years ago

I avoid gardening in heavy rain.

In moderate rain, if I really must get something done, I wear a raincoat with a hood & then just change out of the wet clothes when I come in. I wear a dedicated pair of running shoes when I garden, and I just let those dry out after each session.

In mild drizzle, I just get wet. That's often the PNW way, to not bother with an umbrella or rain gear for commuting on public transit, or gardening. I just go sit someplace warm with a cup of tea later & let it evaporate.

I'm a fan of wool for this reason. It stays warm. I saved a ratty old merino sweater for gardening in.

Laura

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor