Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurell_gw

Lilacs didn't bloom this year!

laurell
12 years ago

I have some fairly new lilacs, I put them in the ground the spring before last. I have Syringa Vulgaris (purple, yellow, and purple w/ white edges blooms) and Syringa Pubescens "Miss Kim." There are 4 different sites that these are located, most somewhat sheltered, but all full sun. Last year the yard got ignored because we were planning a wedding. Both last year and the year before, the plants bloomed but not heavily. I attributed this to them being young plants. All appear to be very healthy and vigorous and green and happy. No blooms at all though. I definitely didn't prune them last year. I hardly had time to water, and definitely was not good about weeding! The neighbors 2 houses down have a bush that's covered in glorious blooms, yet nothing for me.

What could have gone wrong?

Comments (10)

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

My 'Miss Kim' has only a few blooms too....

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Spotty results are usual, many lilac bushes in this area are not smothered in bloom every year. However, if your care was lacking last year that might have affected bud set. The better they are doing, the more strong shoots that set flower buds they will be producing.

Note that, unless there's been a change I'm not aware of it's patula instead of pubescens.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

My Miss Kim blooms when the common lilac is done, so yours might not have bloomed yet.

Corrine

• laurell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bboy - Sorry. I'm going off of the name that was on the tag and matched up well to my super old SWGB, so it may be an old name.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Wasn't a very good year for lilacs for me, either.
    Plus, a couple cold nights zapped the growth on three of four lilac bushes.
    Blooming was spotty and light after that.

Josh

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Looking at the Hillier manual I'm reminded that julianae, microphylla and patula are presented there as subspecies of Syringa pubescens.

• laurell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just today (I've been wantonly gazing at the lilacs daily for the last week or so) the "miss kim" decided to begin showing signs of buds. Strange because I was beginning to become concerned that it may be getting choked out by strawberries despite the fantastic bushy appearance.

• reg_pnw7
    12 years ago

Lack of care last year, when they were still new, could definitely contribute to lack of bloom this year.

Miss Kim blooms later than the others, as well, noted above.

Once they are established they are quite drought tolerant in our climate but yours aren't established yet, so they need some water over the summer.

The lilac across the street from me doesn't bloom well most years because they insist on pruning it into a square box. One year they left it alone and it was covered in flowers. This year? there's one flower, deep inside the square. There oughta be a law ...

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

>The lilac across the street from me doesn't bloom well most years because they insist on pruning it into a square boxHow vulgaris!

• nwrose
    12 years ago

Any idea when to expect suckers to bloom? My large deep purple Frech Lilac died but left me with 6 or 8 nice suckers which are about 5 years old and maybe a spindly 3 feet tall. They get a good 6 hours of sun and are well watered, if not too well. Their feet are covered with a matt of lamium...would that be a problem?
    My thought is to pull, er dig one out and find it a new home somewhere else in my yard; ie, better drainage, more than 6 hrs sun, no lamium. Any thoughts out there?
    Smiles,
    D....