Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Do I Know When to Start Picking My Peas?

Posted by oregon_ed 8 OR (My Page) on
Mon, May 11, 09 at 17:14

Hi. I planted Oregon Pioneer shelling peas about a month ago, and am wondering how to tell when the pods are ripe enough to pick.

Do they come off easily when pulled, like tomatoes? Or is it by the color, or shape?

Thanks!

I'm in Grants Pass, by the way...if that helps as far as the season and climate.

Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Do I Know When to Start Picking My Peas?

Shelling peas should have fully developed seeds and look quite plump. If they start to get whiter in color and shrivel they are over the hill, but could still be eaten.

Snap peas have edible (non-fibrous) pods and can be eaten at any stage, and are great raw in salads.

Snow peas like the peas in stir fries are usually picked when the pods are large but before the seeds start to develope, though I like to let the seeds develope anyway like snap peas.

o

The pods do not come off easily, it requires both hands to pick a pod. If you just grab the pod and yank, you will end up with much of the vine, possibly with roots attached! Hold the top of the pod stem and pinch/tear the pod off with the other hand, or use scissors.

Only experience with opening the pods will teach you the optimum time. Impatience = small peas.

o

You're bragging! MIne are stalled at a very small state...Pick them when they taste good. There's nothing better than munching on a fresh pea when you are working in the garden. Unless it's a just-picked, perfect, red strawberry. Or a sun-warmed raspberry. Oh, and then there's a beautifully ripened tomato....

o

larry gene is certainly right about picking with two hands. I won't let lazy one-handed pickers near my vines as they'll do too much damage. Best to take a bowl or basket into the garden, to drop the pods into, so you always have both hands free.

It can be surprisingly tricky to get the pods at just the right time. Even small shelled peas taste good although you will get more food if you let them get bigger. Better too small than too big in my opinion though, as the bigger ones get starchy and don't taste very good.

You'll be really good at spotting the pods at the perfect stage at about the time the peas stop producing... ;-)

o

Thanks, everyone!

Larry, thanks for letting me know to use two hands and not break the branch, I suspect I'd have broken more than a few!

None of my pods are ripe yet, they're still kinda flat, but they seem to be long enough.

And Dotty, you're right about fresh picked produce, I just picked my first plant of the season, a delicious ripe red strawberry!

Delish...

Ed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here