Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimbo_akimbo

Aged Hemlock Mulch with Seeds in it?!

kimbo.akimbo
13 years ago

Hello!

I had a unit of aged hemlock bark dust delivered about two weeks ago. My husband and I spread it around the yard (2-3" thick) to prevent weeds. Today I noticed that there are THOUSANDS of what I think are little maple "helicopters" / seeds sprouted everywhere there is mulch. In one area, we were not able to complete the distribution of the mulch, and there are sprouting seeds where there is mulch and no seedlings were there is only dirt.

I called the company that delivered the mulch to tell them what happened and to request my money back. However, it is hard to prove that the aged hemlock bark is the definitive source of my problem. The bark company says that they have never heard of seeds in bark mulch before and that they think that this is just my bad luck for all of these seeds blowing into the pile of bark mulch after they delivered it. I believe that the seeds came from the mulch, though. The seedlings are growing out of the mulch, not the soil, so they are super easy to remove individually, but there are thousands growing everywhere there is mulch.

My question is whether or not anyone else has had this issue? Do any of you have an experience with this? The company says that there is no way there is seed in the ground up tree bark, but, again, this just seems too suspicious. Any help would be really appreciated.

Kim

Comment (1)