Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blheron

Need Help to ID Two Plants

blheron
13 years ago

I'm not sure whether to post the info here or if it belongs in a different forum. It doesn't look like I can post pictures here.

I'm in Lakewood Washington. Can someone let me know how to do this?

Thanks!

Linda

Comments (11)

• hemnancy
    13 years ago

Your photos have to be loaded into an online photo site like Photobucket or Flickr. Then you copy the html code line and paste it into your post.

If they are wildflowers in bloom, you can look through photos at pnwflowers.com.

• blheron
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks hemnancy, appreciate the help. I had never seen pnwflowers.com---I think I might have identified one of the flowers. It looks like it might be Miner's Lettuce (Claytomia perfoliata). Other photos I have seen of it don't have the completely connected disk shaped leaves.

I went ahead and added them to an album I started with photos of a tree/shrub I was trying to ID last year---(#1 in the album). I never was able to ID it. I used to be good at being able to key a plant---could use Hitchcock as a last resort, but I had an accident a few years ago and my memory is funky now.

I will try to add the html code, if it doesn't work the website is: http://picasaweb.google.com/LindaL.webmail/CanYouHelpIDThesePlantsTreesShrubs?feat=directlink

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help. I'd like to move these to my Native plant garden if I know what they are!

Linda
    {{gwi:1079319}}Can You Help ID these PlantsTrees/Shrubs?

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

You've got pictures of a willow in there.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Plant #2 IS miner's lettuce - Montia (or Claytonia) perfoliata, a common weed.

Plant #3 is spurge laurel, Daphne laureola, a weedy species of daphne that is considered an invasive species (although not seriously so).

• blheron
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all *so* much! I get so frustrated when I can't ID a Native plant, I used to be pretty good at it.

bboy I have been trying to ID that shrub/tree for over a year! Thank you! Willow never occurred to me, but it should have. I've since planted it in my yard and it looks like it might survive.

I wish the Miner's Lettuce wasn't just a Spring plant, it really has an unusual shape and is very green. But, it also looks like it spreads rapidly. It covers a large portion of my bed as you can see in the one photo.

I was close on plant #3, I thought it might be in the Daphne family. I need to look it up to see how it behaves before I decide whether to keep it. My Sis lives next door and has a large evergreen deciduous tree that is similar and I have them coming up in every flower bed. This one for some reason looked a little different. It may be the same thing. I have the odorous(sp?) Daphne and love it, but it has pink flowers.

Thanks again, you guys are the greatest!!

Linda

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

The attached link may help you make some decisions regarding the daphne.......personally, I'd yank it out pronto! While it is evergreen, it spreads way too easily, has no appealing frangrance and not very showy yellow-green flowers and takes up space better utilized by other, more attractive shade-loving plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daphne laureola

• blheron
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks gardengal48! After I found out what it was I Googled it and found out more. I live in Pierce County and from the wording in the article it sounds like a controlled noxious weed. I definitely decided to remove it.

Interesting though. It says to wear gloves because *all* parts are poisonous including the sap. I was out walking around the yard yesterday and decided since it was small I'd try to pull it. First, it wouldn't pull easily, so I gave up (I was careful to only touch it with a couple fingers). I immediately came in the house and washed my hands. They were already beginning to burn! I REALLY don't want a plant like that in my yard :p!

I am so glad you all helped me ID it. I pulled several small "weeds" that may or may not be the same plant, but will now be watching for it. I have no idea where it came from, I'm guessing a bird that dropped a seed.

It pays to know what you have growing. I prefer native when I can, so I let a lot of things grow until I can ID them. Unfortunately they aren't always native plants!

Thanks again!

Linda

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

The 'Margaret Matthew' cultivar grown in Britain smells of honey.

• thesecretofjoy
    13 years ago

I kind of like how the miners lettuce looks.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    13 years ago

miner's lettuce looks good and even tastes OK. its got a nice texture to it. while it seeds pretty freely, its not hard to pull out.

i wouldn't worry about it. worse comes to worse, i've seen it sold at pretty high prices at the farmer's market. just pick it and get paid for your labors.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

The common one here is Siberian miner's lettuce.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz