Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy lime cheap

Posted by natalija_gardener WA (My Page) on
Thu, May 21, 09 at 17:53

I heard that our soil in Western WA needs agicultural lime and dolomite lime. Does anybody know where to buy it cheep?
I need only 50 pounds. I am a new in gardening, so you being experienced gardeners probably know the places:-))
thanks for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy lime cheap

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 21, 09 at 21:45

"Our" soil varies from one spot to the next. Sample yours and have it tested before pouring on lime and other chemicals.

See the web site of Washington Cooperative Extension for more about soil testing.

o
RE: Where to buy lime cheap

In a lifetime of gardening in the NW, I can only recall using lime once or twice, to control moss in my lawn.....when I had a lawn. And that's before I understood why the moss was present and how to properly be rid of it:-)

An initial soil test is always a good idea before amending soils so you know exactly how and with what to amend. Lime will 'sweeten' or neutralize acidic soil but the vast majority of plants prefer slightly to moderately acidic soil -- like what most of us in this area have anyway, so the automatic incorporation of lime serves little purpose.

Test first :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here