Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fuzzy orange and black tiger moth caterpillars

Posted by hemnancy z8 PNW (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 07 at 17:57

I keep seeing those 1+" fuzzy orange/black/orange caterpillars and looked them up to find they become the large and beautiful Garden Tiger Moth- see link below

http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/moth2.htm#top

I only see them on weeds and try to watch not to injure them when weeding, as I like to see beautiful creatures have a place in my garden. Anyone else have a favorite caterpillar/butterfly or moth? What do you do to encourage butterflies in your garden? I've tried to put out a watering hole for butterflies some summers, and I still have one butterfly bush, among other butterfly flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Tiger Moth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fuzzy orange and black tiger moth caterpillars

I love Tiger Swallowtails but don't actively encourage them, just haven't looked up how.

My favorite caterpillar is the "wooly bear" that we see in the fall that are black and orange.

o

Buyorsell888, that sounds like the same caterpillar.

Another very striking caterpillar occurs on the ragwort weeds in my yard. I don't remove all the ragwort because of them. They have bright orange and black stripes, see photo below, and apparently get a poison from eating the plant then have bright red on the black wings to act as a warning for the moth, the Cinnabar moth. Apparently they have been imported to some places to control ragwort. I never seen the moth but would like to. I found a dead Garden Tiger moth in my garage but haven't seen a live one of them either. I guess I need to hang out at night under lights outdoors.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo

o

The imported Cinnabar moth started showing up in the 1970's; I seldom see one in the city.

Butterflies do not use a "watering hole" per se, but would use a damp area surrounding a water source. The damp area would have to have a mineral content; this is what they're after, not the actual water.

o

I've seen so many of the orange & black caterpillars coming into my garage. Do they hibernate? What do they eat? I'm partial to them, have been putting them in one corner of the garage. Will they live through a harsh Minnesota winter? Will they become food for any other "things" in my garage?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here