Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
juniper -- does it need pruning, or is this just it's style?

Posted by oldgumboots BC (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 18:21

Well, this may be obvious to someone who knows something about junipers, but that is not me...

Very 'leggy' juniper. Wondering if anyone can guess as to what type it may be? It does have a slight bluish hue. Not sure if it is tall and scraggly because of some sort of neglect or if that is how it is 'supposed' to be. I do rather like it's windswept legginess, but am not sure if I should let it continue as is, or prune it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: juniper -- does it need pruning, or is this just it's style?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 22:54

The long tips are normal, the missing bark and excessive dead foliage indicate problems. For starters, it looks like it might be planted too deeply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here