Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with radishes, please...

Posted by natalija_gardener (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 18:23

Hi,
may be some of you can help me with advise what to do to improve quality of radishes. I noticed that my radishes grow or too small, or too strange shapem or too bushy and small root. My friend noticed the same about law quality of radishes in her garden. We are Russians so we like it and use a lot in salads. I wonder if you can recommend the ways how to grow delisious radishes here in Northwest.
Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with radishes, please...

You need a pretty good quality soil to grow any kind of root crop here, our soil often is too gravelly and low in humus. Same goes for any salad greens. I've only gotten good results by growing in raised beds with purchased top soil. Planting in the ground has always given me poor results.

o

We have had good results in-ground with carrots/beets/lettuce, it can be done. Doing radishes for the first time this year--sprouts look good so far. Cover crop is worked in most years--usually red clover.

Evenly-timed watering is important also--wild swings in weather can make this difficult.

I assume your radish problem is not due to crowding or lack of thinning the sproutlings.

Make sure your soil is not too coarse--break the top six inches down finer if necessary.

o

Reg, I had okey results with beets last year, although they were a little weired looking, but radishes are not so good, I guess it is a soil.
One more thing the worm gets in most of them before I get to them, and eats it inside. Any thoughts on that?
Ande thanks Larry for your recomendations

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here