Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumber Help!

Posted by tastytravels 8 (My Page) on
Fri, May 28, 10 at 18:28

I posted this in the Vegetable Gardening Forum but maybe some advice from NW gardeners is more appropriate:

We've had horrible rains in the Pacific NW for the last few weeks. It's not just sprinkles, it was driving, flash flood, hail rains. As a results, my veggies are drowning. Most are holding their own but my cucumbers were hit especially hard. Most are dead. Do I still have time to replant them or should I buy starters at the nursery? And if I have time to replant seeds, should I sow indoors or outdoors? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumber Help!

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, May 28, 10 at 20:02

I usually direct sow, but seldom do that before 1st week in June.

If you seed them indoors, plant outdoors as soon as the 1st true leaves develop then figure out a way to temporarily protect them -- rig a "greenhouse" of sorts.

o

Last year I planted bush cucumbers from seed in mid June. They produced lots of juicy cucumbers. You should be able to start from seed outdoors around now.

Yeah, I live in Seattle and the rain this spring is pretty heavy!

o

I planted cuke & squash seeds outdoors last weekend. I don't consider that to be late planting at all. As you can see, planting heat-loving veggies early here can easily lead to failure.

I like the English type cukes...this year I planted varieties "Chelsea Prize" (Renee's Garden...12"-15") and Burpee's "Tasty Green Hybrid" (10"...probably not really an English type).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here