Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
high PH and boron in my well water

Posted by gardenerkarin 8 BC coastal (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 18:30

This is the first year in my new garden. We are on a well, which we had tested and found it to have a PH of more than 9, and a high boron content, over 8 ppm, apparently less than 1 ppm is common. Will the ph of my soil be affected if I water with well water? Also, does anyone know the effects of high boron on plants? I have a rain barrel, but not enough capacity to water the entire garden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: high PH and boron in my well water

Interesting. Are you in a geothermal area?
Keep us posted on what all you are finding out.
apparently the boron contributes to a high pH.

4.1.3 Boron
Boron, unlike sodium, is an essential element for plant growth. (Chloride is also essential but in such small quantities that it is frequently classed non-essential.) Boron is needed in relatively small amounts, however, and if present in amounts appreciably greater than needed, it becomes toxic. For some crops, if 0.2 mg/l boron in water is essential, 1 to 2 mg/l may be toxic. Surface water rarely contains enough boron to be toxic but well water or springs occasionally contain toxic amounts, especially near geothermal areas and earthquake faults. Boron problems originating from the water are probably more frequent than those originating in the soil. Boron toxicity can affect nearly all crops but, like salinity, there is a wide range of tolerance among crops.

Boron toxicity symptoms normally show first on older leaves as a yellowing, spotting, or drying of leaf tissue at the tips and edges. Drying and chlorosis often progress toward the centre between the veins (interveinal) as more and more boron accumulates with time. On seriously affected trees, such as almonds and other tree crops which do not show typical leaf symptoms, a gum or exudate on limbs or trunk is often noticeable.

Most crop toxicity symptoms occur after boron concentrations in leaf blades exceed 250300 mg/kg (dry weight) but not all sensitive crops accumulate boron in leaf blades. For example, stone fruits (peaches, plums, almonds, etc.), and pome fruits (apples, pears and others) are easily damaged by boron but they do not accumulate sufficient boron in the leaf tissue for leaf analysis to be a reliable diagnostic test. With these crops, boron excess must be confirmed from soil and water analyses, tree symptoms and growth characteristics.

On the link below scroll down for information on Boron and specific crops reactions to boron and the typical leaching methods used when irrigating.

Here is a link that might be useful: boron in agriculture

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here