Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nw_gardener

Plant identification

Bay Area Gardener
12 years ago

It is that time of the year again :)

I have a couple of plants that I was hoping to get identified as always by the experts in this forum.

1. I planted rose seeds in this location the past fall. Are these rose seedlings?

2. bboy and others on this forum helpfully identified this as a birch tree. It grew over 4 feet past year (its first from seed) and survived being yanked out and transplanted in December in the middle of a snowstorm (it was growing too close to the house). I was hoping to get the species of the birch identified

Comments (12)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Yes, those could be roses. Betula pendula often pops up here and that is what yours looks like.

• Bay Area Gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the immediate response, bboy. Reading about betaula pendula, I have the tree in a particularly bad location with only 3 hours or so of light - will be interesting to see how it does this year.

• Bay Area Gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,

Asking for help again from the experts in the forum:

1. This plant is growing through a huge mugo pine, so I am very impressed:

2. I have an epidemic of this all over the place this year:

3. Pretty looking weed. I wanted to find out what it was and if it was invasive:

4. A neighbors tree that is falling over the fence into my yard. The neighbor is unfortunately not around at this time to ask.

• plantknitter
    12 years ago

Here is my go at it:
    1. cherry laurel Prunus laurocerasus --as you also see in the background of picture #4.
    2. Hmmm...coming up all over?!--maybe a beech?
    3. queen ann's lace, /wild carrot/ Daucus carotus (carota?).
    4. A filbert- Corylus sp.--not sure which one.

• Bay Area Gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

plantknitter: Thanks! I will get rid of the English Laurel then - I do not need it.

• plantknitter
    12 years ago

Geez, Can't get #2 out of my mind, looks so familiar.
    Now I'm thinking Magnolia, but it even almost looks like an oak possibly.
    What tree do you have around there it could have come from since you have so many? Or did you get a load of arborist chips?

• Bay Area Gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm, now that you mention it, I *did* get a load of chips the past fall locally (Redmond location of Pacific Topsoils).

I also did scatter a few Magnolia seeds around (and it would be really cool if this was one) - but I do not remember planting a seed where the photo was taken.

Regarding the Prunus, can it be transplanted easily?

The Filbert has some fruits forming - are these edible (the neighbor likely would not mind)?

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Not a magnolia, those never produce toothed leaves. Will be something like a chestnut or oak, or perhaps a beech.

My first thought was red oak.

• Bay Area Gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I pulled up one of the possible oaks and these are pictures of the seed (large acorn like structure) and the root system - tap root from the look of things.

Whole plant:

Root/Seed:

In addition, there is also this very fragrant plant that I see growing around my neighborhood (and near the 520/I5 interchange in Seattle):

• plantknitter
    12 years ago

Your fragrant plant looks like Hesperis matronalis, Dame's Rocket.

So the other is an oak, --I kept trying to talk myself out of thinking oak and went looking for other options when you said you had them all over the place. Would the cold winter have provided good statification for so many to germinate this past year?

• Bay Area Gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi,

What is this interesting looking plant (foreground, fine and light green leaves with a dropping structure)?

It is located close to a native bleeding heart (Dicentra formosa), but does not look much like it.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

It is a poppy. Most likely Meconopsis cambrica or Welsh poppy. Yellow or sometimes orange flowers. It self seeds wildly and many consider it a bit of a weed :-) IME, once you have this plant in your garden, you will ALWAYS have this plant in your garden and everywhere it chooses to grow (not just where the original was planted). Difficult to remove with a stubborn taproot so deadhead religiously to keep it from seeding all over creation!