Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
les1238

How to encourage violets to spread?

les1238
12 years ago

A long-established colony of violets always showed their willingness to invade when there was lawn in my backyard. How should I go about encouraging them to spread out quickly now that the lawn has been replaced by bark mulch? The plants are currently in flower.

Can't tell you what species they are--maybe Labrador? Foliage is dark green with purple shading towards the stem, and they have alot of texture. Flowers are light purple and shaped like Johnny Jump Ups. The plants grow to as much as 4" high by early Summer.

Comments (6)

• les1238
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Next time, I'll know how to post the photo link in the actual post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Not sure they do - maybe not enough color in the leaves and too much color in the flowers - but if they fit the so-called purple Labrador violet then they are correctly Viola riviniana 'Purpurea'. It was never accurate to call this V. labradorica as that is actually a different species perhaps not in cultivation. Yours may seen seed around more on their own, without assistance. Otherwise you could buy some more to increase the planting, it's certainly not a scarce or expensive item.

• reg_pnw7
    12 years ago

They should spread on their own, don't worry. You could divide them if you have a thick clump of them. It does kinda resemble Labrador violet but not quite. They may be less purple from shade, but still don't quite resemble Labrador.

They may have some trouble seeding in the bark mulch. Bark mulches can be hard on annuals and perennials spreading, that's part of why people use them, thinking of weeds. You might have to help them by planting.

• les1238
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've been checking the plant centers, but not finding these so far.

I did kind of want to try transplanting some 4" clumps. (It is a dense patch.) But not until they're done flowering, I think. How does that sound? Any tips for increasing the chances of successful transplant?

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

Cool/cloudy day and keep as much soil as possible around the transplants when digging. Dip exposed roots in water every few minutes if the procedure is taking longer than that. Focus on matching the planting depth to the surrounding soil level. Make slightly tapered planting holes instead of vertical-sided--this helps to merge the infill soil and prevent a "crack line" around the transplant later on. Use firm pressure when doing a final pressing-down of the transplant. If the soil is still damp, no need to use a ton of water, but keep a close eye for drying soil during warm spells.

"How to discourage violets from spreading" would be a more common topic. Had to remove ours--spread too readily.

• botann
    12 years ago

Yes larry gene I agree.
    I've had a persistent patch for years that I've been pulling up whenever I see them. They're in among some Cyclamen hedera and Heath. I'm always wary of plants that are difficult to eradicate and surely don't want more.
    Mike

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio