Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goofyisgreen

Heuchera or Heucherella for Full Sun

goofyisgreen
9 years ago

Live in Zone 8, 600 yards from Puget Sound. I planted 2 Heucheras, one a red-leafed, red-veined variety (Maybe Palace Purple), the other a silver-leafed, red-veined variety on a median strip that gets 8 hrs sun in summer, maybe 2hours in winter. Both plants have done quite well, and looked good all year, most especially in the spring (like now!).

Anyways, I'm thinking of planting some more of these guys in a different spot with similar sun exposure but slightly drier conditions (under high evergreen canopy). I want them to "stick out" thru a groundcover of periwinkle. So, I'm wondering:

1. In this climate, how do the red-leafed, yellow-leafted & green-leafed compare for hardiness? Which one would do best in a full-sun, somewhat dry situation?

2. Any larger-leafed varieties to recommend? I hope to get one where the foliage clump can approach or surpass one foot in height (my "Palace Purple" look-alike, I think it's a more "red" and less "purple" variety of heuchera) meets this requirement, as it's foliage seems to get to a about 15 inches or more in height.

Comments (4)

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Under conifers they will probably get weevils. Otherwise, the one that grabs me continues to be 'Obsidian'. Of the many other kinds being presented at local outlets, with new ones every year none that I have seen so far matches its ability to look substantial and well colored.

This post was edited by bboy on Sat, May 24, 14 at 22:26

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I have Obisidian and Dolce Licorice, and the Licorice is more vigorous. It also has huge rocket-shaped lime green and plum flowers, while Obsidian's aren't very impressive. Mine is over a foot tall and the foliage stays nice.

I had two Licorices under trees in very dry conditions. I read they prefer drier rather than wetter conditions. One gets dappled sun and it grew bigger and had twice the flowers of the one in more shade. I moved the one in shade to full sun/moist soil last fall, and so far it's doing very well.

When I bought them about five years ago, there were other Dolce varieties that I was interested in trying. Hope they're still available!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Most heucherellas are best sited in more shade than sun. And all but the lightest/lime or yellow foliage heucheras will be fine in full sun. Dryness is not their friend :-) Evenly moist soil at all times so perhaps not the best choice for under large conifers.

Green Spice has had the best performance in my garden. Also a good doer is Root Beer, with a very rich coppery color. I had Obsidian in my old garden and it did very well also. Rave is another great performer and with an attractive deep cherry red bloom the hummers love.

• Karchita
    9 years ago

I've had good success with Green Spice and Plum Pudding, but all the others (and it's been a lot) I've tried have floundered and died out.

Root weevils really like them. I've had better success, in general, in pots than in the ground, and in sunnier locations than in shadier ones. IME, it's especially helpful if they get a lot of sun early in the season, so under deciduous trees or in pots that you can move to full sun for March, April, May and then position in shade, if you like, later in the year.

This time of year they look fantastic.