Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering dogwood problem

Posted by farah 8 WA (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 20:40

Hi,

My flowering dogwood has some branch dieback and has not flowered fully this spring. The lower branches have no leaves or flowers. The upper half still seems to be doing okay. Could this be dogwood anthracnose? Any help/tips would be appreciated.

I have added a link with more pics.

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dogwood

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering dogwood problem

Wow!
Maybe it had anthracnose, but it sure looks like more is going on than that.
How long has all that mulch been there? It looks like it is up way high on the trunk, it is too thick over the root area, and looks very soggy.
Not sure if that would cause all the bark to die and peel off, but that is certainly not a good sign.
Do you have deer or other critters that would peel off the bark?
A late severe freeze?
And was that lower branch recently cut off? It looks to be pruned way too deep into the trunk past the branch collar--that won't help the tree any, either.

o

Thanks for your response. There is some compost at the base but it is not high at all. I think the angle in the photo makes it look like it is high when in fact it is not. However, I can certainly remove it if you think that will help.

There are no deer here. There was moss in many areas and so I pulled some of that off. Below the moss I saw a couple of what looked like tiny slugs almost 2 to 3 feet up the base of the tree. Could they have been damaging the bark? We have had a very rainy winter so maybe that did not help either.

The branch was taken off a few years ago. The tree has been in full bloom every year up until now.

Thanks.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 13, 14 at 2:20

The bark falling off looks normal to me. Show the die-back and defoliation instead, that is where the problems are.

o

Re: "bark falling off looks normal..."

really? on a dogwood?

I'm amazed.

o

Flowering dogwoods are known for their exfoliating bark, some species much more than others but most present this feature.

o

My dogwood was planted late in the season (early july)...it is wilting and looks pretty sad im hoping i can revitlize. It has been hot and dry . The soil is clay but i did amend. I am hoping someone has some advice. Please. I have not mulched.

o

My dogwood was planted late in the season (early july)...it is wilting and looks pretty sad im hoping i can revitlize. It has been hot and dry . The soil is clay but i did amend. I am hoping someone has some advice. Please. I have not mulched.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 16:19

Amending of planting holes often produces watering issues due to differences in texture between the amended soil inside the hole and the unchanged soil around the hole. Poke around inside the hole to see if it is dried out - or instead collecting water.

Also, top of tree looks thin as though it came from a shaded environment - you may be getting some leaf damage due to a sudden increase in light (and maybe wind) exposure during one of the most challenging months of the year.

o

Thank you for responding i am going to dig next to the hole and see whats doin wet or dry wise.

o

Yes bboy, it looks as if it has been under shade cloth or lath. Looks good there when it's for sale, but the leaves don't take to the great outdoors well,....even with adequate water. The new leaves will be OK though.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here