Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike5o

Anyone Ever Try Red Plastic Around Tomato plants?

mike50
12 years ago

Local Seattle gardening expert, Cisco, suggested, in light of our cool summer last year, try putting a type of sock over your tomato cages to retain heat and repel rain (top of sock is tied off). I believe the material was a type of red opaque plastic that comes in a roll, to be cut as heighth of tomato/cage dictates. Available at Territorial Seed, I think although I wasn't able to find it on their website. He also mentioned the "water wall", any opinions with either product? THANKS.

Comments (2)

• tastytravels
    12 years ago

Hi mike50. I'm also wondering if red vs. black plastics make a big difference in growing tomatoes. I've used WOWs last year and this year. Last year it allowed me to plant out tomatoes in Portland, Oregon late April. I was harvesting tomatoes a few weeks before my friends. I think it really works. If you have extra 1 liter soda bottles, there's stuff on the internet about making your own. I plant tomatoes in pots so that wasn't an option (and I don't drink that much soda!). I planted my tomatoes out last week and so far they're surviving!

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

He says in the segment that was broadcast water collects in the top of the red "greenhouse" and pulls the sides up unless it is secured at the bottom with rocks. Apart from that, I say I would not want to look at bright red towers out in my yard.

Friends near here grow them in plastic tunnels.

They also grow - and ripen - melons by using plastic tunnels.