Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chasing away the crows?

Posted by whitman seattle (My Page) on
Sat, May 16, 09 at 22:56

So after losing most of my cucumber and zucchini sprouts, I decided to sit by the window and figure out what was eating them. I kept finding them with the leaves torn off or the stem pulled up. Sometimes the leaves were eaten but mostly just torn off and left for dead. Turns out, it was crows. hop around in my raised boxes, find a sprout, pull it out, fly away. Any ideas on how to keep them away? other than netting over the boxes...thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chasing away the crows?

Same answer I've given previously. Get yourself a cheap portable radio,pocket size is fine. Tune it on a RAP station and problem solved. Keeps the birds away from my Asian Pears and Tomatoes

o

Get a sling shot. I've never hit a crow with mine but it keeps them out of the yard. About twice a year a crow will settle in the yard and I'll shoot in its general direction. That seems to be all it takes now. During the first couple of years I had to shoot more often but they're intelligent birds and they learn to avoid the yard. I'm fond of crows but I live near a rookery and if I didn't push back they would occupy the trees in my back yard. Also they're hard on baby birds.

o

Why do they get attracted to your yard? Do you feed birds? I never had crows in my yard until I put a bird feeder.In any case maybe because of the bird feeder they don't go into my veg garden which is right next to it.
Can't help much more? don't know.I hope they won't go after my veggies.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 21, 09 at 0:09

Another name for them is "yard bird" - you may not have to be presenting an obvious attraction for them to come and poke around.

Many vegetables benefit from being grown under plastic (for added warmth and frost protection) or row cover (frost and pest protection) here anyway. If the plants were covered the birds would not be able to get at them nearly as well.

o

Not sure what we do that attracts them. No feeders, baths, etc. They are usually in our yard throughout the day hunting worms in our grass. My guess is that they are looking for worms in our boxes as well. The Zukes are just innocent bystanders. Now that the remaining ones have grown and developed true leaves, they we have not lost anymore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here