Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckbunch_gw

Full sun, but someday shade! Are there plants that can do both?

beckbunch
14 years ago

My husband and I just cleared a large triangular area of grass and planted a Japanese Maple in the center (just plain old Acer Palmatum). It's probably only about 5 feet tall right now and pretty spindly. The area gets full sun now, but obviously won't forever. What are some things I can plant that can take the sun now but can someday take shade? I'd love to hear some ideas!

Thanks, Eileen

Comments (4)

• pepperdude
    14 years ago

Well, first things first I guess. You need plants that will take full sun for any number of years until the maple grows. They don't usually cast dense shade even when large so look for plants that will take full sun (now) to part shade (eventually) and you should have your bases covered. Most plant books and labels will give you this basic info.

Just avoid full shade plants and you should be fine.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    14 years ago

planting a tree is an investment in time. are you gonna be living with that tree in 5-10 years? for most people, the answer is no. the big shady adult japanese maple is probably not yours.

enjoy your gawky tree as is.

just plant full sun stuff that looks good and move it later. (make sure the plants are cool with getting moved around)

or.... SWORD FERN...

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

Plants that take full sun to part shade are abundant, so you could select by color scheme or height. I have a couple of very small Japanese Maples, one with red foliage and one that goes from red to amber- Purple Ghost and Amber Ghost. I planted Heucheras of various colors- Peach Melba, Crimson Curls, Midnight Rose, and green ones I started from seed, around them to do some color echo. Heucheras like shade more than sun but it is east of my house so they don't get strong afternoon sun. I think the newer ones are better in the sun, too. I really like the colors matching the maple leaf colors at various times.

• jennie
    14 years ago

Heuchera's are a good suggestion, I found mine don't really like a lot of shade; and they don't tend to get eaten by the slugs. Mine're ruffly though, so smoother ones might be tastier? Don't know. In deeper shade mine made like little palm trees, growing up and up. Not attractive. I put them in sun and they're happy little ground covers, they only get a couple hours shade a day and are happy.

If you don't mind flowers, I'd try some annuals there too or lupins perhaps. For a greener look, salal or the low oregon grape are nice; I find both grow pretty well in sun or shade.

I have some little maples with hardy geraniums under them, I particularly like the geranium I got at a plant swap a while ago and which I've forgotten the name of, it has pretty lacy dark red leaves. The maple has varigated red and cream leaves and they just look nice together I think.
    Another one has pulmonaria under it, but while pretty in bloom, it gets a bit ratty later on.