Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluewillow09

Need a recommendation for a shrub

bluewillow09
10 years ago

I want to plant about a 9' row of small shrubs (about 3' high and wide) with fine-textured leaves as a foundation planting along the west side of my house. It gets about 4 hours of direct sun at the hottest part of the day.

Either something that stays dense or something that would look nice trimmed as a hedge.

The soil is heavy clay. It will get watered regularly. Disease resistant would be good.

Comments (8)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

You could look at boxwood or Japanese holly. Easy, very adaptable annd slow growing enough that pruning requirements are minimal. And neither one is particularly tasty to deer.

• OregonGrape
    10 years ago

I tend to recommend native plants but, in terms of functionality, I'd recommend boxwood. I have a row of these in my front yard, in shade/partial shade, heavy clay, and they get twice-a-week watering from the sprinklers. They need a minor haircut every spring, but are otherwise as easy as pie and they look great. I keep mine in the 1-2' height range, but they'd probably get to 3' if I'd let them.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Dwarf nandina 'Gulf Stream'.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Both box and Japanese holly are prone to root rot. So, you might see problems with those on damp clay - it is typical for broad-leaved evergreens in general to need better aeration and drainage than various deciduous shrubs may tolerate - nandina my not like your ground either. And these days, there is a lot of mildew and leaf spot on it in this area.

Your screen name may actually point to a possible candidate: Salix purpurea 'Nana'.

• goofyisgreen
    10 years ago

Perhaps one of the well-behaved viburnums? I replaced an out-of-control laurel hedge in full sun last year with an evergreen viburnum (name escapes me, glossy evergreen leaves, just finished flowering-white & beautiful, blue berries in summer, tiny red seed pods arrive in late fall & stick around all winter). Really an impressive plant, 7 of 7 plants survived 1st year last summer (remember summer drought) and seems to grow maybe 6-12 inches a year, easily trimmed.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Viburnum davidii? I had trouble with the leaves yellowing, spotting, and falling off.

I have Gulf Stream and haven't had any problems with it. But I'm in Oregon and we have better weather than Washington. ;)

• ian_wa
    10 years ago

I'd vote for Hebe buxifolia or H. odora. Leptospermum grandiflorum would be fun as a clipped hedge.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Hebe or Leptospermum in damp clay?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

...first documented in the Pacific Northwest in 2000 occurring on several diseased plants in western Washington. The pathogen has been found in Oregon and California

Here is a link that might be useful: PNW Plant Disease Handbook - Nandina Mildew

This post was edited by bboy on Mon, May 13, 13 at 16:02