Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie403

Troubled Dogwood Tree

natalie403
11 years ago

I have 2 dogwood tree suffering from (I think) bad pruning by previous owner. Last year when I moved in it was very spindly and the leaves all turned black toward the end of the season. This Feb/March, the tree started to grow and each tip was growing 5 to 8 long skinner soft new grow. It is not a pretty sight. Not really knowing what to do but felt a need to do something, I took the liberty to clip most of the new grow, leaving 2 on each tip.

Now, as you can imagine, the tree is still spindly, with puff of leaves at the end of each branch(see pictures). There are new leaves growing along some branches. What can be done now? Can it be pruned back to shape? If so, when would be a good time to do it, and how do I go about doing it?

Another question I have is whether I can move one of them. The tree is about 5 years old so it is a good size but not super big. The tree is on the access path from the front of the house to the backyard. There were a few times I almost hit it with a full wheelbarrow.

Any help is much appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures on flickr

Comments (5)

• botann
    11 years ago

Two bad pruning jobs in a row.
    I wouldn't even know where to start now.
    Anyone want to tackle it?
    Mike

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

The correct answer is to move only when dormant, but not now unless you want to risk losing it.

Though I've done it with a snowball bush viburnum (maple leaved type) several times even when leafed out. Big rootball, rich soil, summer watering, mulch, & it's made it every time not missing a beat.

I would move it again if I needed to since it's made the move 3 times now, but hope it's in the right location. The other one I only moved once and is a bit larger now, but they are both in full bloom and look great. No more black aphids now that it gets some shade & more water from the downspout. You can't tell at all that I moved one in early April.

I have no idea how the dogwood would perform, but if you don't like it and it's your yard do what you want.

Corrine

• botann
    11 years ago

Yep, that's what the books say, move when dormant. If it's been moved three times already, it can be moved again now with proper digging and aftercare watering. The root ball should be intact and not too big and ungainly. As a Landscaper, I moved trees at all times of the year out of necessity and had very few problems. Determining what trees can be moved, when, is a matter of experience.
    I see problems down the line for this Dogwood, moved or not.
    Mike

• natalie403
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Mike, can you be more specific? What problems do you see? Will they die? Never bloom? I have decided to leave them alone and see how they do in a year or two. Would love to hear any constructive input, even if it is to remove them, as long as there is a good reason for it. Thanks!

• botann
    11 years ago

It's the long, ungainly branches that bother me. They won't hold an ice or snow load very well. It looks like you're up in the hills and that makes it more likely than if you were down by the salt water.
    Mike