Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sexing plants?

Posted by dottyinduncan z8b coastal BC (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 0:20

I bought an Aucuba Gold Dust and a skimmia this spring and now I realize I need both sexes to get good berries. Is there any way I can find out what sex these two plants are? the aucuba had red berries when I bought it, the skimmia was in flower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sexing plants?

Dotty, I think the only way to tell the difference is when they're flowering, flower shapes and/or sizes are different.

Annette

o

Well, we know the acuba is female -- it had berries!

o

Thanks for the info. I hoped putting SEX in the subject line might spice up this forum, it's not nearly as lively as it was a year or two ago.

o

Or if they are labeled :-) Skimmia in particular usually comes with a male or female label as there are not male or female named cultivars. But even without a tag, relatively easy to determine male from female - male flowers are larger and IMO, much more attractive. Aucuba, OTOH, usually comes with a cultivar name and these can be researched for sex. Flowers tend to be pretty inconspicuous with aucubas.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 16:17

I have numerous Aucuba seedlings with varying degrees of variegation. I think the males are green. I should look at them closer to see which is which. They root rather easy from cuttings. I usually root the best variegated ones and treat the seedlings as tolerable weeds. Always looking for that exceptional one, of course.
Once established, they handle dry shade very well.
Mike

o

The one with berries has to be female of course.

Flowers can be sexed. Get a hold of a botany text with a diagram of male and female flowers, or look on Wikipedia. Male flowers have anthers with pollen. Female flowers have a stigma, and no anthers. It's pretty simple with a diagram.

o

Confession: I've lost the tag for the skimmia. I'll research it next spring but it was in flower when I bought it and I don't see any berries so likely it is male. The Aucuba"Gold Dust" is growing really well and is a bright, welcome additon to a very shaded breezeway area. I'll buy it a mate. I've got disagreement from my reading about whether the Aucuba is deer resistent. Anyone know?

o

I've got disagreement from my reading about whether the Aucuba is deer resistent. Anyone know?

If you've got disagreement, then you can bet it is NOT deer resistant :-)) My experience living out here in the rural hinterlands, deer can and will eat anything - listed "resistant" or not - at least to taste and the only assurance of true deer resistance is a tall fence. Or a big dog.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 19:23

I have over 15 Aucubas and the deer have left them alone...so far. They seem to nibble on some weeds the most. That, and some light nibbling on some of the kousa dogwoods.
Mike

o

I appreciate the answers. We have a real deer problem here and I am using different ways to discourage them with some success. Totally agree that fence is the best but it isn't possible for our whole property. It's amazing how each year their tastes change! Obviously, they can't read the list of Deerproof plants!!!

o

Gardengall48, my experience with deer eating Aucuba is different than Mike's. Early this spring I planted two Aucuba and my resident herd of deer ate all the new growth off both plants. Because of this herd, I normally spray Bobbex, a deer repellant, on my plants but because I was busy I forgot to do it thinking that the deer wouldn't eat them anyway. Well they did, and I sprayed the plants with Bobbex after this. Luckily this happened in early spring and the new growth came back without any nibbling by those pesky deer. I have even had these deer eat the new growth on my eucalyptus until I sprayed it with Bobbex.

So if you don't want a fence or a large dog, large dogs can be as destructive as deer to a garden in a different way, try a deer repellent. I know Bobbex works if you follow their instructions. It is sold in both Canada and the USA. Another is Plantskydd. I haven't used it, but many Xmas tree growers use it with success. Both can be found on the Internet.

o

I've seen aucuba munched down to stems only by deer but others in other deer-visited gardens left untouched. I swear deer in different areas have different taste buds!

The remark about the big dog was meant as humor, although my smallish spaniel keeps the deer at bay in my garden. I think he is just too exuberant for the deer to tolerate. Most repellents work pretty well, as long as you reapply as necessary.

o

Just because the skimmia doesn't have berries doesn't mean it's male. They're not self fertile. The females won't produce berries without fertilization by a male skimmia.

o

We use a variety of deer deterants from a fully-fenced veggie garden, Plantskyyd spray to an electric fence. Interestingly, we have 3 Northern lights Azaleas. Two of them get browsed, the third which is the most exposed to Bambi is left alone. The electric fence is outside of a couple of perennial beds and it gets respect except once in a while from fawns. They don't do it twice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer outside wire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here