Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosa Rugosa bloom time from seed?

Posted by nw_gardener 8 (WA/Kirkland) (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 0:39

I obtained a bunch of seeds of a Rosa Rugosa variety from the hips of a plant in a nearby park and planted the seeds in Fall of 2010. A number of them germinated and I have about 6 small plants now growing in poor conditions in shade/heavy clay soil and a larger plant in sun/fertile soil in a planter.

Are these worth keeping? How well do they do in this area on their own roots and how do they handle being transplanted? The parent plant is growing well but is on a lake shore - conditions that I cannot duplicate. Also, how long can I expect them to grow before they first flower? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosa Rugosa bloom time from seed?

I grew some Rosa moyesii from seed, and it took four years for them to start blooming. That means a few blooms per plant. I planted them into the garden as soon as they got established in a 4 inch pot. They are in full sun in a raised bed of sandy loam soil. They get watered every couple of weeks in Summer. If your conditions are less ideal, it will take longer.

o

they will do fine on their own roots and will transplant fine.
Worth keeping? that's your decision.
but not if you keep them in the shade in poor conditions.
How long til bloom? --let us know.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience".~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
Greek Proverb

o

Thank you. Looks like I should expect to get blooms in another year (or perhaps two) and it will be interesting to see what the flowers look like - I will respond to this post when that happens (with pics, hopefully) :)

I will have to try digging up the roses in the shady corner of the year to transplant into a pot, probably when the plants go dormant.

o

They will grow much better in the open ground. If you want them to bloom quickly, move them to their permanent location as soon as possible.

o

Update from April 2013: the plant just got its first bud (from the look of the fringe petals the color is likely to be red/pink).

Here are a couple of pictures:

1. First bud

2. Full plant with a pack of fertilizer for scale

About 3 years from seed to first bloom in close to ideal conditions (grown in a planter till this spring, good exposure to sun). Its siblings, still growing in hardpan clay under poor lighting conditions are not doing quite as well (no buds to be seen on any of them).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here