Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
favorite groundcover

Posted by kam76 z8, WA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 08 at 1:20

What is your favorite groundcover? I am looking for something that will do well on a slope that gets partial afternoon shade. I definately don't want something that is super invasive and would love a nice flower or interesting foliage or fragrance or something. I was thinking about creeping thyme but was concerned it wouldn't get enough light.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: favorite groundcover

you might try a bunchberry. It's on the Oregon State list of native plants, and because it's part of the dogwood family it has the typical four petalled flower and wide tropical-looking leaves.
I've seen it growing below deciduous azaleas, so it does withstand some sun. I'm not sure how much more than that, though. I think it dies back in the winter, so it will hold the slope up, but might not look great in the winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bunchberry

o

Right now my favorite is golden creeping jenny, Lysmachia nummularia 'Aurea' because, with these grey skies, it is the brightest sunny-appearing spot in my garden.
Afternoon shade is good so the leaves don't crisp or brown.

I do not find it invasive, just shovel prune the edges periodically.

o

Has anyone had any luck with Woodland Strawberry?

o

I have an ornamental strawberry 'Lipstick' that wanders around on some gravel steps that is quite pretty. Ajuga and Ladies Mantle,these have spread and covered small areas in my garden. Phuopsis styloa is another favorite of mine with it's rose colored flowers, this one gives off a musky scent at times. What about some of the shorter ornamental grasses.
A......

o

Has anyone had any luck with Woodland Strawberry?

o

Never tried it.

I love Ajuga but it dies on me. :(

o

I'm having good luck with the Lipstick strawberry.

If you want a ground cover that will flourish and TAKE OVER plant vinca minor aka periwinkle. Zounds that stuff is robust!

Taiwan raspberry was recommended as the best groundcover for PacNW. By the time I found out about it there was no place left to plant it.

Have some creeping jenny that's doing well and looks great. Have planted an enormous variety of ground covers but most get swallowed up. Think they take vigilance to weed until established. These are the delicate low-growing ones.

I've seen ivies, st john's wort and vinca totally cover large areas on campuses.

o

How about Asarina procumbens?
Duane

o

I agree that bunchberry is lovely, but I have heard that some people have difficulty establishing it. I didn't have any trouble, but it spreads slowly and doesn't always cover thickly enough to keep out weeds. Mine is in very rich, moisture retentive soil and gets quite a bit of sun. It's under a young Japanese maple and I love the foliage combo of the red maple leaves and the bright green and white flowers.

I also like ajuga as a ground cover, as well as lithadora, low-growing sedums, and the non-flowering lamb's ears, which has done well for me even in light shade.

o

Also consider the saxifrages.

London Pride and many other types can cover a very large area and weeds don't get through mine, though they are in a fair amount of shade.

o

My favorite is Taiwan Bramble rubus pentalobus. Started it under a huge sycamore tree 3 yrs ago -the epitome of dry shade. It has filled in fully and extends 5-6 feet. Edging along a chip-filled path keeps it in bounds. I pull up pieces that have rooted and transplant them to front yard by the road which is full sun, not watered. It is happy and spreading there, too. It is tough; I rake leaves off it in the fall.

o

I have red creeping thyme planted in an area that doesn't get sun until mid afternoon. It's healthy, hearty, and the bloom season is spectacular. It's blooming right now and I can never get over how pretty it is.

o

I killed my bunch berry.

o

For dry or sandy soil, my favorite is the succulent evergreen Delospermum cooperi. They bloom all summer, and the bright color rivals the most colorful flowers.
Photobucket

o

I like to use strawberries because the slugs love them and have food so ( I think?) they don't damage the rest of my garden too much.Anyways they are not invasive and do a good job.I don't pick any of the berries, because they have slug bites and I grow them as ground cover ( works well)
I must say I like some other options here also..

o

Homernoy, that looks so pretty. I honestly sat up in my seat and my breath caught in my throat lol. BEAUTIFUL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here