Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bohochick

Colorful Perennials

bohochick
10 years ago

My garden consists of mostly blue and purple flowers. These are my favorite colors for flowers, but I want a couple other bright colored flowers in the mix too. Any suggestions?

Comments (19)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

If you want soft yellow in summer Coreopsis verticillata 'Moonbeam' is nice. What seasons and exposures are you planning for? What soil conditions?

• bohochick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This spot gets afternoon shade and has clay soil. I think I am mainly going for summer blooms, maybe early fall. Too much later and I tend to not go outside much because of the rain. I never thought of soft yellow, I think that would be really pretty against the dark purples of my Columbine and Canterbury Bells.

• bohochick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love Peonies, but I'm afraid they wont bloom because it doesn't get very cold normally.

• Wayne Reibold
    10 years ago

Where are you? I have several peony and they all bloom, I'm in a suburb of Tacoma WA.

• bohochick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oregon, a little town in the Valley. About two hours from the mountains, two hours from the ocean, and around an hour from Portland. This last winter all we got cold enough for was a week of freezing fog. But if I've got hope, I'd love to try them.

• Wayne Reibold
    10 years ago

I'm no expert in peony but have read they take time, x # of years, after planted before they bloom. This matches my experience, my recollection is 2-3 years until they bloomed, I think some bloomed after 2 years and others took 3 years. I'm not sure if this is typical. I also have read make sure they are planted at the soil level around them NOT below or they won't bloom.

They are fantastic flowers, very fragrant, I have some pink ones I took cuttings from that are in the house and I think the blooms are about 10" diameter, no joke, just fantastic.

I haven't had any pest problems with them either (e.g., slugs) so big thumbs up for them.

• bohochick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the awesome advice. Finally some Peony hope! :)

• bohochick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the awesome advice. Finally some Peony hope! :)

• botann
    10 years ago

I did a landscape once where all the blossom colors were red and purple with just a dash of yellow. The customers were very happy.
    Have you thought about tree Peonies? Here's one of mine just now blooming.
    Mike

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Peonies are very common in PNW outlets and gardens. But these are sun plants, and they are not long-blooming - a lot of space is taken up by a plant that is in peak bloom for a comparatively short time. And the kinds with large, heavy, multi-petalled flowers often bend to the ground under the weight of them.

• Wayne Reibold
    10 years ago

Re: Peony flopping over, very true, but simple solution, cheap green wire supports (round circle with stakes into ground) cheap and available at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc. work perfectly for Peony.

As far as short blooming, I see the same with many other flowers but as huge as the blooms are and the fragrance to me it's totally worth it.

• botann
    10 years ago

I cut them off with a short stem as they bloom and put them in a small bowl of water on the dinner table. My wife loves it.
    Mike

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

I was responding to

>This spot gets afternoon shade and has clay soil. I think I am mainly going for summer blooms, maybe early fall

• bohochick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So would tree peonies take care of the flopping problem most peonies have? That picture is gorgeous.

Any thoughts on Dahlias? If I wanted to invest in some peonies the size of the plant would be a problem unless I wanted to take out grass.

• Wayne Reibold
    10 years ago

The thin metal supports (round at top with stakes into ground) I think is 18" diameter max and it fits my peonies perfectly so not sure how much space you have but mine which are mature don't take up more than about 18" diameter due to using the metal supports. I haven't grown tree peony so I don't know how big they get.

Dahlias definitely need sun and unless they're dwarf varieties they need a support stake but don't get very wide, at least the varieties I grow. I'm a big fan of both Dahlias and Peonies. I do have to bait for slugs though with Dahlias, they love them as well.

• bohochick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, that's good to know! Slugs are definitely a PNW problem.
    What are your favorite colors and varieties of peonies and Dahlias? Are there hardier varieties I can try, or certain ones that do better in your garden?

• gardenrescue2012
    10 years ago

Upright fuchsias like part shade, come in bright reds to soft pinks and white. Astilbes come in pinks, white, red, maybe more.

• bohochick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely look into the fuchsias.

• noinwi
    10 years ago

Gaillardia, Blanket Flower really pops next to purple or blue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gaillardia images

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner