Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tthomas19

Dogwood tree leaves look bad

tthomas19
10 years ago

Help! 3 Dogwood trees, all in the ground for over a year. Leaves started turning brown around the edges. Plenty of rain and some sun... especially in the last month.. Good drainage as they are on a slope.. two are within 30ft of each other, other one is more than 300ft away with trees in between. Fungus maybe? Root rot? Help! I don't want to lose them!
I live just north of Vancouver, WA

Thanks in advance,
Tracy

Comments (11)

• Wayne Reibold
    10 years ago

What varieties of Dogwood? Anthracnose possible if is Cornus Florida?

• tthomas19
    Original Author
    10 years ago

one is a Kousa Cherokee, the other two didn't have names when we bought them. They are quite tall (12ft) and have the regular white bract/flower.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

'Cherokee Brave', 'Cherokee Chief', Cherokee Daybreak, Cherokee Princess, Cherokee Sunset all belong to Cornus florida.

• Wayne Reibold
    10 years ago

Can you post closeup pic of the brown edged leaves? I've had some Cornus Florida with Anthracnose and could compare the look of your leaves to what mine looked like. My trees never died, just kept getting brown edged leaves and dropping all the time which became extremely annoying so they finally got chopped down.

• tthomas19
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all... thanks for the input. Here is a close up picture.. If it is Anthracnose.. is there a cure/spray?'

:D
    T

• tthomas19
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another pic

• Wayne Reibold
    10 years ago

Experts will likely chime in, it looks similar but not the same as my Dogwoods with Anthracnose, the difference being most of my leaves had some pink with the brown.

• tthomas19
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting.... I'm not with the trees now, but my husband says the leaves are starting to look red. Espec. on the Cherokee. I thought it was maybe new leaf growth...

• botann
    10 years ago

Sure looks like Anthracnose to me.
    I had a few Cornus floridas with Cherokee in their name that came down with Anthracnose every year. My solution was to toss em' and grow Cornus kousa instead.
    If I have to spray a plant, I don't grow it. I would probably miss the right time.
    Mike

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

I agree with Mike. Generally I don't recommend treating for anthracnose as it is an ongoing issue that really only results in the eventual decline of the tree beyond salvation. Better to plant resistant forms if possible. If I had my druthers, they wouldn't even sell eastern dogwoods (Cornus florida) in this area as they are virtually guaranteed to get it.

Having said all that, I have seen far more anthracnose this season than in previous years and on some so-called quite resistant cultivars. I think a great of deal of it is due to our recent weather.......an extremely mild winter and a mild, moist spring. Ideal conditions for fungal issues!!

IME, anthracnose that first appears after these combinations of weather conditions is most likely temporary and somewhat treatable. It starts out as only a foliar problem but if ignored or exacerbated by additional weather issues, it can become systemic in following years. And in those cultivars/hybrids that are usually listed as resistant, it seldom ever progresses beyond the foliar stage.

Cultural control at this point is all that is recommended although you may want to be somewhat preemptive next spring, weather depending, and start early on a fungicidal spray just in case.

Here is a link that might be useful: dogwood anthracnose

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Years ago it was noticed back east that C. florida disease severity above a certain level and ozone (I think it was) above a certain level fir like a hand in a glove when mapped. I've noticed that C. nuttallii out in the mountains here do not seem to be affected. Of course, there is liable to be less pollution there than in urban areas. If there is something about this year that raised the pollution levels maybe that is why the blighting is bad.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH