Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you seen this vine before?

Posted by bluesunflower 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 2:55

Can anyone help identify this vine? I live about 30 min. east of Seattle on a mountain about 1,000ft up. This vine is growing in what would be considered a wild location. The property lots are large, with 6 acres being the smallest, so neighbors are an unlikely source. It is growing up a fir tree at the edge of old growth forest. It would have a north-west exposure.

Ok, that should be way more information than anyone wanted. Does anyone have any ideas on what it is?

Oh, and the flowers do not have a scent so far. No one was brave enough to taste it though, even on a double dog dare. ;-)

mystery vine

mystery vine closeup

Thank you for any help you can give.

P.S. I have posted this in the "name that plant" forum but thought you all might have seen it before since this is our region.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you seen this vine before?

Aw, this looks like the latest plant on my wish list, Lonicera sempervirens, a native honeysuckle. It is not as red as most of the photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lonicera sempervirens

o

It's Lonicera ciliosa, Western Trumpet or Orange Honeysuckle. Although Lonicera sempervirens is a native to the US, it is not native to this area. L. ciliosa differs from sempervirens in that it is fully deciduous, has orange flowers and slightly hairy leaves and petioles. It has no discernible scent and is pollinated almost exclusively by rufous hummingbirds.

o

Hemnancy thank you for the link. I consider myself lucky to have a plant in the wild that you have on your wish list.
Gardengal48 I think you are correct that it is L. Ciliosa. I checked it out and that matches it. To bad there is no scent with it but that definately helps with the hummers. This vine is just below my front garden so it puts the hummers right on the path to my feeders.
Yea!

Thank you both very much for the help. Another plant ID'd millions more to go. ;-)

o

Yeah, sempervirens is redder, the orange didn't fit. I want one for the hummer that flits around my yard.:-) Lucky you.

o

Bluesunflower, Lucky, lucky you! I've wanted a native honeysuckle forever! So do you have lots of hummingbirds visiting it? I wonder if you can save seeds from it?

o

I am always surprised when this vine appears in my woods each summer. I agree that it is very special.
If you want to purchase it you can find it at Nothing But Northwest Natives: http://www.nothingbutnwnatives.com

Judy W

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here