Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why would ants want my young weeping willow tree?

Posted by thecitychicken SW Washington (thecitychicken@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 3:01

I live in SW WA. We have a young weeping willow out front. It's probably around 15 ft. tall now. Today I noticed ants going up and down it. I've seen ants do this to other trees but what's in a willow for them? The edges of quite a number of leaves are brown and curled. Tree otherwise healthy. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why would ants want my young weeping willow tree?

Harvesting insects, or excrement from insects like aphids might be a likely cause.

Maybe they are cleaning up for you.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

o

Have a close look at your Willow, the new growth is probably covered with aphids, these are probably what is turning the leaves brown. The ants are milking the aphids (their own personal dairy herd) get rid of the aphids and the ants will disappear.
A......

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 14:36

Aphid farming is often what ants are doing.

o

An effective way of controlling aphids is to spray the tree with a fairly strong stream of water. It will knock many of the aphids off, breaking their mouth parts in the process, and causing them to starve. You will need to do this consistently at 3-5 day intervals to prevent the next generation of aphids from getting established. Usually a two weeks of diligence will reduce the numbers to the extend that ladybugs and other beneficials can get to work and take over.

o

I noticed about a week ago with the ongoing rains that my willow looked split in the bark. Upon viewing more closely I found the bark to be split and pulled away from the trunk and red ants taking refuge under the torn bark. I at first started thinking about all the high winds and thought it may have twisted the tree to make this happen. That didn't explain the ants though. the tree is healthy as far as I can see

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here